Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capabilities of Kalkwasser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Capabilities of Kalkwasser
    Posted: January 04 2004 at 4:10pm

Many people may not realize just how much calcium and alkalinity are packed into kalkwasser.  I found this graph by Craig Bingham that shows just how much can be delivered:

The colored fan shaped areas are calcification rates in kg/m2/yr.  A "typical" ocean reef is somewhere between 3 - 6 kg/m2/yr.  Bingham claims that some tanks can be as high as 20 kg/m2/yr (which I'd probably have to see to believe).  I calculated the calcification rate on my little 20 gallon tank about 6 months ago at 2 kg/m2/yr... low end for sure, but I don't have many sps.  Back to the graph:  My 125 gallon tank evaporates 4 gallons per day, with a surface area of .84 m2 (6' x 1.5') I could theoretically support 15 kg/yr of calcification using just kalkwasser.  That's over 30 lbs of coral growth in a year!

The actual amount of kalkwasser that can be added is set by evaporation rate and tank pH.  The most you can add is equal to your evaporation rate.  If you add too fast or too much, your pH can get very high which can lead to a crash of existing calcium and alkalinity and/or harm to tank inhabitants.  How can kalkwasser additions be maximized?  Gas exchange is the key.  Here are the desirable reactions that take place:

Ca(OH)2 = Ca + 2 OH      (dissoving of kalkwasser)

The OH as hydroxide ion is not of any real use.  This is what causes the pH of the tank water to increase.  But CO2 is our friend and comes to the rescue:

OH + CO2 = HCO3  (and)
OH + HCO3 = CO3 + H2O

With the addition of CO2,  the two OH ions are changed to a carbonate ion (CO3) and a water molecule.  So each molecule of kalkwasser becomes one molecule of calcium and one molecule of carbonate... a balanced additive!

Again the key to maximizing kalk additions is to maximize CO2 contact.  Lots of aeration, big skimmer, fans and water motion!  Do all this and still keep the pH below 8.4.

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 4:28pm
Jon, you are so good at explaining this stuff. Thank you very much! I'm sure that this will answer a lot of questions. What are your comments on using kalkwasser with a reactor to help with any extra carbon dioxide that gets into the tank?

Also, when you say "30lbs of coral growth per year," does that take into account that some corals grow faster or slower than others?
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 4:46pm
Thats sweet i am getting in alot of Kalkwasser this week thanks John.
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 4:48pm

If you already have a reactor, you wouldn't necessarily need kalkwasser as a calcium additive.  Just crank up the reactor.  But your right, it can be perfect for pH control.  If you are running your reactor so hard that you're driving down the pH in your tank, there are a couple things I'd do.  First, more aeration of the tank water.  Just the opposite of using kalkwasser, you want to drive all that extra CO2 out of the water.  If that doesn't do the trick, then I think kalkwasser is a perfect additive to drive the pH back up.  The only reason I wouldn't try kalkwasser first is kalkwasser is a bit of a pain in the a## to use.  Mixing and dripping every day/week can be come a pain.

When I say 30 lbs of coral growth, I'm just saying that's how much it can support (ie. that's how much calcium is in all that kalkwasser that I'd add in a year).  Not that my tank could actually grow that much.  If it does, that would be great!  But do you think that's realistic?  Have you seen tanks that grow that much sps in a year?

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 5:02pm
Are you familiar with how reactors work Jon? Have you ever used one? They are tricky little buggers. If the effluient falls from 6" above the water line into the water, would the carbon dioxide release into the air? Or is it saturated into the solution? Where would you start your drip & flow rates on a reactor? Maybe we could talk about this on another thread if you don't want this thread to change directions.

I'm sure that some tanks could grow 30# of growth in a year, but they are probably 2000+ gallons in Germany somewhere.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 5:08pm
I mean Jon.........
[email protected]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 8:24pm

If the effluient falls from 6" above the water line into the water, would the carbon dioxide release into the air? Or is it saturated into the solution?

No, I would say you don't want the CO2 to leave at that point.  There is only so much calcium and carbonate that can stay dissolved in water.  The lower the pH the more you can have and vice versa (the higher the pH the less you can).  The CO2 in the reactor reduces the pH down to the mid 6s causing CaCO3 to dissolve.  If you were to remove all that excess CO2 I think some of your calcium that you just dissoved would precipitate as solid CaCO3.  You want the reactor effluent to mix with your tank water first then degass the excess CO2, imo.

I mean Jon.........

No problem, I've been called much worse.

Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 8:55pm
i have a brother named John, so it is just a reflex to type it like that,
[email protected]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 9:19pm
Thanks Jon. That answered my questions.
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 9:22pm
Marcus, ill be getting in some Kalkwasser this week if you want some for $4.25 per pound....
[email protected]

Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 9:24pm
Sounds like a deal to me! I'll be sure to get some. Is it the same brand as the other chemicals that you got?
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2004 at 9:38pm
Yes its undertheseachemicals great prices if you buy bulk...
[email protected]

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 8:44am

Originally posted by Marcus Marcus wrote:

Where would you start your drip & flow rates on a reactor?

It's my understanding that the manufacturer of the reactor will give a minimum drip rate and a minimum bubble per minute rate and then you go up from there.  Somewhere around 40 drips per minute of effluent water and 10 bubbles per minute of CO2.

Also, in the Sea Star Online, April 2001 article about Ca Reactors by Jim Perry.  He mentions dripping into the intake of the skimmer.  Would this work ok? 

Edited by Travis
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 9:06am

He mentions dripping into the intake of the skimmer.  Would this work ok? 

IMO, I think that would be a great place to drip.  Good mixing with tank water and good air/water exchange.

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 9:14am
Jon -
You evaporate 4 gallons daily? I also have a 120 gallon tank and I only loose about 1 gallon per day.

I covered my sump (55 gallon) with acrylic. That cut down the evap rate significantly. But, like I've said earlier, I can't add kalkwasser quickly enough to keep up with my tank ...
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 9:17am
Thanks Jon, IMO kalk is the best thing sence sliced bread...  only problem I have had is it can not keep up with my tank anymore.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 9:30am

You evaporate 4 gallons daily?

yup, that's rediculous ain't it?  I use almost a full 5 gallon container daily.  It's becoming a hassle carrying those totes around, I'm looking for an RO unit.

Shane and Travis, what became the bottleneck?  Evaporation rate or pH?

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 10:23am
Evaporation rate for me. 
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 10:39am
Jon - I can hardly believe your evaporating 4 gal. a day. I evaporate around 1 gal. a day in my 150, it seems to increase though during the winter time.

I forget - what lighting do you have?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2004 at 10:47am

I've got two 250w MH and one 400w MH.  One six inch fan blowing directly down on the tank.  Open top hood.  Big skimmer moving lots of air.

Travis, want some of my excessive evaporation?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic