Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Capabilities of Kalkwasser

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:03pm

Wow, I'm surprised in you guys.  Are you saying that the best looking tanks you've seen had additives and supplements?  I'm sure you will both say yes, but I'm not sold on that yet.  I'm not against it, but I'm not necessarily for it. 

Travis- In this case, by doing nothing, you may be providing them with the best environment.  By adding supplements you may harming your inhabitants.  Some very smart people would say that, people like Eric Borneman and Ron Shimek.  (however I don't agree with them, but I will admit they may be right)

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:11pm
Adam, I agree that adding supplements may harm your inhabitants. Of course, if I add copper to my reef tank, I may harm my inverts and corals. And of course, if I dump a whole can of turbo calcium into my tank I may harm my inhabitants. But I feel that the manufacturers like Kent and ESV know what they are talking about and if you add the amounts that they say and stop when you are supposed too, very little harm will come.
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:13pm

Adam, I don't mean to pick on the president but I'm sure you would agree that some additives & supplements are required??  

Waiting it out may work just fine... but what will be the side effects?     

Edited by Travis
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:27pm

Yeah Travis you are correct, I do like some additives.  I do like B-Ionic and kalkwasser.  If you consider phytoplankton an additive, then I definately like that.  But for the most part you can just let your tank go and it will do great.  It doesn't need to be complicated like djangoboots was saying. 

Adam

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:31pm

ok, now that i got that out i feal a little better, sorta.
It's not an easy road with so many opinions out there (been there,done that).  It is my opinion we should provide new hobbyist with the best methods and allow them to experiment after they become comfortable with keeping sw systems.

Worry about phosphates....Don't worry about phosphates  
Excess phosphates can and will cause algae problems.  My statement earlier with nitrates...  nitrate are always present in our systems.  Even if your reading 0 nitrates are still being produced and consumed.

Use Macros to get rid of phosphates.....macros won't wok to get rid
of phosphates.
IMO macro algae is a very good way to keep phosphates under control.  It takes them a while to use up excess phosphates unless you have a LOT of macros.

Use kalk to get rid of phos.....kalk doesn't work to get rid of
phosphates.

Jon covered this better than I ever could.

Need Ca to boost coraline algae growth....not enough coraline algae
to need Ca supp.

Calcium supplement will help with coraline growth.  You probably do not have enough calcium consumption to require kalk but if you were to test weekly and supplement as needed your coraline would benefit from it.

Use kalk to help w/ pH & alk......
Same as the last one, your consumption is PROBABLY not enough to justify kalk.

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 3:38pm
Adam, I agree less is better when it comes to additives.  I dose calcium, alk & mag.  Everything else I leave to water changes.
djangoboots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 4:03pm
As George Costanza would say...
"serenity now!!!!"
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 4:14pm

Originally posted by Travis Travis wrote:

Everything else I leave to water changes.

That is the best thing I've read all day!  I completly support that idea.

Originally posted by djangoboots djangoboots wrote:

As George Costanza would say...
"serenity now!!!!"

Happy Festivus

Adam

Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 4:25pm
Festivus? Is that the holiday for the rest of us?

I think you only need to supplement things your water is deficit
of...(Did you notice that grammar error?). Would adding extra Ca+
help coraline growth if the Ca+ level is at natural seawater level? Or
would it cause trouble somewhere, like in the human cell?

And why do you wanna grow that crap anyway? It gets all over
everything before you know it!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 4:33pm

Suzy,

VERY good points!

Adam

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Flaz Flaz wrote:

Adam, I know another way we can simplify.  Stop using Latin...  I haven't used Latin in describing my aquarium inhabitants for... well forever.

Aaron, too late can't take it back.  Never said anything like this...

"That is a piece of Acropora.  I like it, but not as much as my Pavona.  It just looks better under the Actinics. I think it has a different strain of Zooxanthellae.  Or maybe it just eats more of the Phytoplankton.  That green stuff is Caulerpa, which I hate.  I would rather have some other type of Macro like Halimeda growing.  But where would I put it, I mean with all this Xenia taking over.  But it does help keep my Alkalinity in check which is good because I only measure my Calcium
Oh and look at my Yellow Tang (okay Greek not Latin on that one but who cares) he loves to hang out with my Scopus and my Pseudochromis and my Percula.  I hate when they swim near the bottom and stir up the Detritis.  All that does is cause Algae to grow.  I would prefer to have a pristine Acrylic Aquairum that provides Serenity and Tranquility, but what can you do. "

Adam

Edited by Adam Blundell
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 5:04pm

Happy Festivus

Take of your shirt, it's time to wrestle!

Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Happy Festivus

Take of your shirt, it's time to wrestle!

After the meeting, at the restaurant....  I'm willing.  Someone have a pole?

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 5:18pm
  Seinfeld is a notch above anything on TV today!
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 5:19pm

Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Seinfeld is a notch above anything on TV today!

Simpsons????

Adam

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 5:35pm
I do chuckle at the Simpsons, King of the Hill and South Park (when my wife isn't watching... don't tell her).  But for me Seinfeld was king.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 6:22pm
Adam, if you are going to give a speech like the one above, the least you can do is spell zooxanthellae correctly. I can't spell to save my life. That's why I don't make speeches.   
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 8:20pm

Duh, thanks Marcus.

Adam

ps- sorry if that sounded like a speech, I was just trying to tease with Aaron since I know he would do the same.  All in good fun

Edited by Adam Blundell
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2004 at 9:37pm
Seinfeld was fantastic but I think Curb your enthusiasm is better! All the bitter, witty, sarcastic comedy but uncensored and much darker!
djangoboots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2004 at 8:36am
Wow, i didn't mean to start that big of a change in topic.
that's the last time i mention any tv shows around you guys.
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic