Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

replacing vho's

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
z28xtreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z28xtreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: replacing vho's
    Posted: January 06 2007 at 9:24pm
im trying to decide on what light set-up to get for a 75 gallon tank.  i was curious as to the life of bulbs.  i currently thinking about doing 2-150 MH and 2 48'' VHO's.  any suggestions welcomed.

Edited by z28xtreme - January 06 2007 at 9:25pm
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 10:09pm
That sounds like an excellent choice. 10-12 months life expectancy on the bulbs. A T5 setup would be another excellent choice.

Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:17pm
So, does actinic bulbs actually do anything for corals or is more for the viewing pleasure of the owner? If they are for viewing pleasure only then do you really need to replace them after 12 months? What bad can result from having old Actinic bulbs?
z28xtreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z28xtreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2007 at 11:34pm
dont you lose wattage with the t5 setup?  or do you use more bulbs?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 12:08am
Yes you do lose wattage. That is a good thing. Since the bulb is a very small diameter the reflector is able do direct more light downwards so you use more of the light and less electricity.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 5:54pm

The usable life of VHO's is actually about 18 months if used with electronic ballasts. I prefer 3 Super Actinic URI brand VHO and one Actinic-White URI brand VHO used in combination with two 15000 Kelvin MH lights.

T-5's as used today are more effecient using less power per lumen of light produced, but do not deliver as many lumens as a VHO tube. Unfortunately, most of the T-5's I've seen in service fail to light within a year.

Wattage is a term which actually tells how much electricity is used. Lumens is the amount/intensity of light coming from the bulb/tube. Unfortunately, lumens is not a good measure of PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation), the measure of how much good coral light is being produced.

Actinic bulbs/tubes produce bluish light at a wavelength (420 nm) that most coral seem to need. SPS coral is the exception, because most varieties of SPS live in shallower water where a wider range of the light spectrum is available. Though whiite light has this 420 nm wavelength, Actinic tubes produce only this color so electricity/energy isn't wasted producing a wavelength of color which is not as beneficial to coral.

I invite you to examine these pics of the lighting that reaches the ocean and with an understanding that, with the exception of Acropora and related SPS coral, much of the coral we keep comes from depths of 10-50 feet, decide for yourself if actinic light is necessary or not. (photos courtesy of Jacque Cousteau)

Edited by Mark Peterson - January 07 2007 at 5:58pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
z28xtreme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote z28xtreme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2007 at 6:58pm

so how would you have the bulbs arranged if you used two MH and  3 Super Actinic and one actinic white VHO's?  two in front of mh and the other 2 in back with the white being closest to the MH, so its closest to the center?  where would you put the one actinic white?

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2007 at 9:25am

Why not come check it out? See below.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2007 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Kevin Kevin wrote:

So, does actinic bulbs actually do anything for corals or is more for the viewing pleasure of the owner? If they are for viewing pleasure only then do you really need to replace them after 12 months? What bad can result from having old Actinic bulbs?

So I would like to respond to my own question. I am going to say YES. I have been using the same VHO Actinic bulb for approximatly 2 or so years now and thought nothing of it. It was still blue and therefore to me it was serving its purpose. Also recently (and for the past long while) I have been struggling with algea/cyano and having some corals slowly not doing so well.

Well in January I replaced my MH bulbs and that made some difference and then in Feb. I replaced by 48" VHO actinic bulb and that made a huge difference. I don't know how much it contributed to my algea growth (I had gotten that under control before replacing the bulb) but I would say some of my corals are doing MUCH better. I did use chemi clean on the cyano but it was acting like it was going to come back until I replaced the bulb.

Just thought I would share my experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic