Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Algae problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Algae problems
    Posted: December 14 2006 at 11:10pm
Has anyone had problems with bryopsis and if so what did you do to get rid of it.

I used to buy phosphate test kits and was always mad when I wasted my money on the kits to find out that I had no phosphates. Who knows, maybe I do have a phosphate problem now, now that all of my phosphate kits are too old to get an accurate reading.
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 12:09am
I dug out my old Salifert test kit, for which I only used once, and it is showing zero phosphate again and as always. Has ANYONE ever gotten ANY reading on a phosphate test kit?

I have heard of people using a phosphate sponge even though there were no phosphates in their aquariums. Is it just hard to measure phospate? Are there different kinds of phosphates that all phosphate test kits don't test for? Does anyone REALLY have a clue about phosphates? Are there certain times of the day when phosphates show up, and I am just not testing the right times of day?
5 gal fluval spec v http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65727&KW=&PID=531710&title=my-new-little-one#531710 12 gallon jbj nanocube reef Stansbury Park (Tooele Area)
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 12:38am
How are your nitrates?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 8:45am
When algae is growing well, N and P compounds typically test almost 0. That's why it's often meaningless to test for those compounds.

I have very successfully used Rabbitfish (not the Foxface) to eat Bryopsis.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 12:20pm
Yeah my nitrates are around 0, I'm pretty sure that there is a colored tint to the water.

Thanks, Mark! I did a search for just such a thread and didn't find these. Bryopsis to me is a different beast than the typical hair algae that I'm used to. The stuff I have, seems to seek out and destroy corals, mostly SPS. I have never seen a snail or any animal remotely interested in eating it in my tank. The snails seem to only want to eat the small types that are growing on the glass or surface of the live rock.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2006 at 12:52pm

Here is a picture of it killing off a coral.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 12:32pm
That's Bryopsis alright. The large Pacific Turbo Snails sometimes eat Bryopsis.
I have actually had 100% success with Rabbitfish, but my procedure with them is usually slightly different from typical hobbyists.Wink
reefnut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2006 at 8:01pm
I was battling with Bryopsis a few months ago.  I started using Kalk for my topoff and to my surprise the Bryopsis slowly died over about a month!  There are several other people on Reefcentral that have had the same results.  Might be worth a try???  FYI - I am not using Kalk anymore and the bryopsis has not come back.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2006 at 1:06am
I have always used kalkwasser for topoff and always will. It's one of the secrets to a fast growing, healthy reef.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic