Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120 Gallon tank on Laminate flooring?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120 Gallon tank on Laminate flooring?
    Posted: December 21 2003 at 11:48pm
I'm planning on building my 120 Gallon tank in my family room.  My only concern is that we have laminate (pergo) flooring there.  Just concerned it will damage my flooring some how.  Anyone else have a large tank on laminate flooring?  Did it affect the flooring any?  Is it safe (won't warp your floor)?
Danny Lueck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 12:18am
Hey

I have my 155 bow front sitting on a wood floor. I am not sure if it will damage it but as far as LBS. on floor I think it will be ok. I wouldn't worry as much with pergo as real wood like mine. And my wood floor is a floating floor like pergo.    If you spill on floor clean it up
"Ask not what your REEF TANK can do for you!!"

[email protected]
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 7:41am
Thanks Danny...  I had just heard that placing large tanks on floating floors prevented the floor from naturally expanding and contracting.  If that happens they warned me that the floor might warp.  That's why I got concerned...  But if you have hard wood floors... that's even more sensitive than pergo...  Thanks for the comments.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 7:46am
My 2 cents... Yes, the area directly surrounding the tank will not be able to expand and contract. However, with the low humidity and assuming that the temp in your house will not fluctuate much, you should be OK. If spillage is a concern, you can always place it on an area rug first. Just a thought.
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 8:51pm
Dont use a rug then the thing rots. Nasty smelling rug gets wet and you cannot get it dry. Maybe line the bottom with a thin layer of rubber. really floating floors are made to expand as you walk on them having a heavy object that doesn't move is a moot point. and pergo will not absorb water...only though the cracks. I was also thinking of running a line of caulk around tank stand to keep water from going under base. LIFE'S A REEF!!!

[email protected]
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 10:19pm
Danny, before you run a line of caulk, let't talk. We can come up with some better ways of acheiving that goal. Besides, Carlynn would kick your ass if you did that.

Carl, my den where my 25 gallon tank is gets more humid than the rest of my house. Granted its a small room, but you can feel it when the door has been closed. Its nothing like Balitmore, where I grew up though. I don't know what % of humidity starts to cause problems, but I know that there would be a little.

What about putting a piece of foam under the stand? It may get just as moldy as a rug though. And shimming the stand would be tricky. Any thoughts? OOHH! What about one of those rubber anti-fatigue mats? That may work...

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 8:07am
I placed my 120 on laminate flooring for the specific purpose of not getting the carpet wet. Additionally, I'm planning on changing the carpet - this way I can do that without removing the tank. I have had my tank in place for several years - no problems! Go for it. It looks nice and is super easy to clean up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Lueck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 8:12am
Yes Carlyn might get alittle bent. Although you could easily remove the caulk with a razor if you ever move the tank. I plan on never moving my tank again

[email protected]
Spuma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 10:40am
Thanks for your input guys...  Eases my decision on putting my tank on my new flooring!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic