Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

coraline algae

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
djangoboots View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: coraline algae
    Posted: December 18 2003 at 12:24pm
When I got my tank it was used and came with a ton of rock.
Unfortunatly all the rock was "dead" since the tank had been broken
down for a while. Since I can not afford to buy all new live rock I
figured I would use the old rock and add a few pieces of new live
rock. So the 2 new pieces I bought are very pretty and covered in
purple/red coraline algae. Is there anything I can do to encourage
this to spread to my other rocks? I noticed for a while that there
were small patches of it starting on the other rock, then the green
micro algae came in and took over. Any thoughts?
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 1:24pm
You can use a brush or even scrape some of the coraline off so it gets in the water. Just make sure you turn off the skimmer. I took a bunch of small marble sized pieces and shook the crap out of them inside a tupperware container then just poured the red water into the tank. Also if you can run just actintic lighting for awhile it will help it to really take off.

Edited by KeoDog
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 1:34pm
I had my skimmer off for a while but the green algae went nuts so i
have turned it back on and unfortunatly I can't run just my actinics.
any other suggestions?
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 2:34pm

Why can't you run just your actinics?  Is it because you can't turn them on/off without the other light?  If it's just because of livestock, you can usually turn them off for a few days.  I had just my actinics on with a bta and several other sps's and polyp for four days, 24 hrs a day.  My coraline grew, the nasty scum algae went away and everything else was just fine.  Though I wouldn't do it for more than 3 or 4 days...  or very frequently.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 2:49pm
I think what keodog meant was to turn off the skimmer for a couple days after adding coralline "powder" otherwise the skimmer may remove it.

In addition to answering the question of why you can't separately turn on just blue/actinic lights, can you describe your tank a little more?
Lighting, Alk, pH, Ca, and what inverts (coral, crabs, shrimp, snails, urchin, etc.) you currently have?
Size and age and what "green algae went nuts" would also help.
Of course, a pic is worth another thousand words...

Have you yet seen the appearance of green Coralline algae?
Have you added any LS or water from another reef tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 4:08pm
Patience! Before you know it, that crap is everywhere! Anybody know
how to get it off my plastic overflow? It shows up sooo bad on the
black curved plastic....
imaexpat2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imaexpat2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 4:32pm
Mark is on target with his input, or at least I agree at any rate.  Some GARF Grunge to seed your rock probably wouldnt hurt either.  That is some pretty cool stuff. 
300 gal. Frag System
300 gal. Live Rock Vat
240 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
135 gal. SPS/Clam Reef Tank
75 gal. Softies only Tank
65 gal. LPS/Softies
24 gal. SPS/Softies Nano Reef
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 6:08pm

My pincushion urchins would make short work of that coraline on the black plastic.

-Cody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2003 at 9:51am
I only have one balast so its all or nothing unless I took out the full
spec bulbs and put in 2 more actinics.
so i have 4 VHO's, pH 8.1, dKH 10, Ca i have no idea. I have no
corals, i sally lightfoot, 2 cleaner shrimp, 2 peppermint shrimp, 1
serpent star, no snails cause they always die (yes i have looked into
this but no one can figure it out), and a bunch of hermits. No fish,
see no ich post for more details on that.
The green algae is that bright to dark green stuff that looks like a
poder when removed from the glass.
At this point I am hesitant to turn off the protien skimmer since it's
been off for a while, see ich post. I have not added anything from an
established tank because I don't have one available. Just my 2 live
rocks i bought at the LFS. ( i think that answered all the ??)
What is this GARF that you speak of?
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2003 at 10:05am
put in some more actinics.  If it's that powder stuff on the glass let it grow for a while while you work on the coraline, then clean it off.  GARF is located in Idaho.  I believe they might sell things over the net--talk to mark on that one.  I wouldn't worry about your inverts with the actinics.  And if there are no fish, I wouldn't worry about ich either for a week or so with the skimmer off.
WhiteReef View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiteReef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2003 at 11:51am
If you like, you could come and get some good chunks from my tank as I have it all over the back glass of my tank.  My tank started the same as you describe.  I had several pounds of old dead live rock, and I seeded it with a few pieces of live rock.  The base rock started to get a green algae of sorts growing on it and then the coralline algae took over.  This did take awhile though, probably several months (that was over 4 years ago when I was getting it started).  Also I would not worry about cleaning it off unless it is more than the hard green stuff that grows on the glass.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 19 2003 at 1:11pm
Okay,
Let's look at the situation. let me know if I miss a step or if something else, another concern/problem comes to mind.

You started with lots of dead rock and added a couple pieces of LR. Then you added a whole lot of non-coral inverts and fish.

Having just tried a couple of chemical and physical cures for ich, you are also concerned about the lack of coralline algae growth and the accumulation of some unknown and undescribed green algae.

Snails die so you have none and have received no answers.

Frankly, this is a lot of stuff to cover. It might be very beneficial if we could speak directly and much quicker over the telephone. I use internet telephone service a lot and it's really cheap for me. PM me with your number or if you don't mind spending your "dime", call me at 801-296-1563

GARF is www.garf.org. An excellent resource of information and online store for coral and LS and lots of pics of beautiful aquariums. (I'm even on that site! click here green haired mermaid)
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 6:47pm
Djangoboots, As promised over the phone, here's a pic from my friends 180 with VHO lighting (4 - 4 foot tubes) just like yours, except that we put two additional Normal Output Actinics over it. As you can see, the colors are bright and the coralline grows very well.

The water used for this tank is not R.O./D.I. but is not tap water either. Top off is automatic.

We also gave it an RDP Refugia. The only thing we do is feed the tank, do a 10% water change every 2 - 3 months, and cut the coral when it needs it about 3 times per year

Your tank is very new, so in time, with the energy and attention you appear to devote to it, I'm positive it will look more and more like this.

That is a full shot of it. The water looks a little too bright in this pic because of the reflection of light from an unusual amount of suspended organic particles. This happens every time I remove a bunch of Caulerpa from the Refugia.

Don't forget, Bristleworms are our friends. Here is a pic of one of the three huge bristleworms that I told you about. They appeared in this same tank one night last year and went over and down the overflow to the refugium, where they probably reside to this day!

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 7:12pm

Mark, In the last picture, what is the red thing on the right side?

-Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 7:43pm
That's a photosynthetic branching Gorgonia. It's visible in two places in the full tank pic. It grows pretty well even under several tubes of NO fluorescent. Would you like a frag? It's free.

Here's a pic with a little better view of it.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 8:25pm

Mark, do you think it would do well in a 30 gallon with 175watt MH and 130watts actinic pc? Thanks

-Adam

jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2003 at 8:31pm

Oh yea it will do alright!

Originally posted by BananaTropics BananaTropics wrote:

Mark, do you think it would do well in a 30 gallon with 175watt MH and 130watts actinic pc? Thanks

-Adam

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 7:37am
Start the frag on the bottom, or shaded from the MH so that it doesn't burn. Or reduce the photoperiod, etc.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djangoboots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 8:57am
Mark,
From what I have told you about the state of my tank, how long do
you think I should be running my lights. I had them on a 10h
schedule, but then the guy who does all the local tank maintinence
for the LFS said to cut it back to 4 hr per day. This isn't going to
encourage that growth i need though. right. oh and you will be
happy to know that i measured under my tank and i can fit another
10g under there (it'll be VERY tight) so i think after the new year i
will work on getting that refugium running. still can't seem to picute
how the plumming will work. oh and another thing i found someone
local (well 2 hrs away from me ) who impots LR and sell for 4.99 lb! I
am stoked!! Those pics are wonderfull, maybe next time you're in SC
you can come work on my tank! LOL!!
125g whannabe reef
30g FW w/puffers
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 10:45pm
Remember how I told you that the other things you told me the LFS said were only half true, kinda?

To take VHO lighting (already dim because of old tubes) and further reduce the photoperiod is absurd!

I would do just the opposite in your case...increase it to over 12 hours!

That's great that you found a source of LR. I hope it's a good source. I suggest you buy a couple soft corals (mushrooms, sinularia, sarcophyton, lobophyton etc.) at the same time, if possible.

I wrote a description of a DIY Overflow that will help you understand the plumbing, though not everyone likes to DIY it, at least it will help you understand the basics of getting water down and back up. Click here [email protected] to email me and I'll reply with the document.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic