Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Very Weird

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very Weird
    Posted: December 04 2003 at 10:29pm
I forgot to ask about this in the meeting.  In my tank, a white shelf-like thing has apeared.  It wasn't there at all less than 16 hours before I found it.  It is about 1in wide and 1/2in deep.  The color is a total bleach white and its rough on the top.  There is definatly something moving in the cave behind it but I dont know what.  Also just a few inches infront of the shelf there is what apears to be a pointy shell that is just as white.  Any answers?...Beware   
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2003 at 10:35pm
Take a pic for us
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 06 2003 at 11:01am
My guess, without seeing it, is that it's a bivalve foot. There are various clams/oysters that come in on LR and do well for a while. Unfortunately we don't have enough food circulating around so they eventually(1/2 - 2 yrs) die off.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Beware View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beware Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2003 at 9:28pm
FYI Update,  I pulled the shelf thing off with tweasers and behind I found a whole bunch of shells and things.  I found that a good sized deep purple crab had somehow made a tunnel back there.  This hole is kind of big and wasnt there about a month ago...Beware
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 6:05am
Was it a pistol shrimp ? they love to dig caves.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2003 at 7:15am
When you say that you found a bunch of shells back there are you saying that they were cracked and dead bivalves?  If so it sounds like you found the den of a mantis shrimp.

Edited by SSpargur
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic