Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

what next?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reefsearcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefsearcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what next?
    Posted: August 16 2006 at 11:20am
 I was wanting to get another large fish for my reef and i need suggestions on what to get. Dont suggest a species of Surgeonfish because I already have two and i dont want another one. I want something about three or four inches in length. Thanks!  
People think I'm psychotic when I get excited about invertebrate encrusted live rock!

about invertebrate encrusted live rock!
Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 12:04pm
It really depends on what you already have. Some that fit in the 3 to 4 (not necessarily large) inch category would be a pygmy Angel, Anthias, Fairy Wrasse etc.
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 8:07pm
To help you make a good choice which will benefit the overall health of your aquarium in the long run, this article, Herbivores vs. Carnivores in the SeaStar should help. Here is a quick link to it:
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefsearcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 10:33pm
Jamison,

I wanted a pygmy angelfish, but that was before i found out they arent reef safe, i need a fish for a reef tank, i already have dispar and purple queen anthias, and i am going to get a differnet wrasse besides the fairy wrasses ( i dont want a fairy wrasse because they eat plankton and they dont hunt for micro invertebrates like some other wrasses do. I wanted this behavior in my aquarium)  
              any other ideas?

People think I'm psychotic when I get excited about invertebrate encrusted live rock!

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2006 at 10:51pm
Pygmy angelfish are considered by most (almost everyone) to be reef safe.  Also, I think any wrasse will hunt and eat your micro invertebrates.  In fact this is usually a down side discouraging people from buying them.
Hmmm, but maybe look into a larger wrasse, if that is more the behavior you are looking for?
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 9:56am
My coral beauty loves one of my pocillapora but leaves the others alone.

Mike

Jamison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2006 at 11:19am
My coral beauty doesn't touch a thing. Neither did my juvenile Imperator. Adam is spot on in reference to the Wrasses. A larger Wrasse will likely eventually learn to really like the taste of hermits and other inverts, but they look AWESOME! There are a couple of Butterfly species that are marginally reef safe. You could try a small Blue chin Trigger, but he will grow. How about a Royal Gramma type fish or a Blenny? (note: neither of these do a whole lot of swimming around)

Edited by Jamison - August 17 2006 at 11:20am
Educate. Inspire. Conserve.

http://[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reefsearcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:15pm
 will a bluechin triggerfish eat my neon and rainford gobies?
Will he be a bully?
here is a list of fish that i have in a 110 gallon aquarium...

1 Blue Tang (Paracanthurus Hepatus)
1 sailfin tang
2 ocellaris anemonefish (they are not very nice)
1 neon goby
1 rainford goby
3 chromis
1 dispar anthias
1purple queen anthias
1 ocellated dragonette

i may have too many fish as it is, but i do have good filtration and i do water changes. although i have heard of reef safe bluechin triggers, i have also heard that they can turn polyphaganous. will he eat sponges ,corals ,clams, snails ,shrimp ,hermilt crabs and feather duster worms?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic