Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ghost shrimp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
reeferman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reeferman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ghost shrimp
    Posted: November 24 2003 at 8:40pm
I bought some ghost shrimp to feed to my seahorse and he went nuts over them. Is there anyone out there that has raised these for food for your tank? It's a pain to run to the store every week for more shrimp.The artices on the net claim it can be done easly but I would like first hand knowledge if you have done it. Thanks for the help.
i'm a sucker for anything fishy
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 8:40am

I've raised shrimp, but not ghost shrimp.  However, they are only $.20 each, so if it were me, I would just have a bucket with a hundred of them in there.  Too cheap to raise if you ask me.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 8:55am
Is there any LFS locally that sells ghost shrimp?
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 9:06am
Birdworld sells them.  I don't know who else does.
peregrinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peregrinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 9:45am
aquatic dreams has some.
reeferman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reeferman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 9:22pm
Aquatica in orem has them for .50 each. I wanted to put them in my over tank refugium to feed the tank. Or I might just break out a smaller tank and do a seahorse only. I just wanted to get my own live food supply going so I don't have to rely on the store to have them. I also spend more than I can afford at the lfs when I go. Where can I get them for .20?
i'm a sucker for anything fishy
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 25 2003 at 10:58pm
Reeferman, I don't know where you consider "local", but The Aquarium has them, and MarineWorld has them for 5/$5!  I've been getting robbed!Confused
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 7:23am

I don't know about most store prices but at Bird World they are like 4 or 5 for $1.  I use to buy a ton of them there because I drove past BW on my way home from work everyday.  I'm assuming they are the same price.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 8:18am
Aquatic ghost shrimp is so expensive because they are "salt water acclimated", though not difficult to do and I don't see a reason to do.
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2003 at 8:19am

I've seen lots of ghost shrimp at the Wal Mart on about 5500 S. and Redwood.  I think they are 4 or 5 for a dollar.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic