Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Moving from 90 gallons to 240 !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Moving from 90 gallons to 240 !!
    Posted: November 21 2003 at 8:44am
Ok - so I ended up with the 240

This actually kept me awake last night - cause I have no idea on how to move / fill it !! So I am going to need help figuring this out.

The situation: I have a working 90 gallon tank that is going to provide all, or most of the stuff for the 240. The problem is also that the 240 is going to be in the same spot as the 90.

How do I:
1. Prepare enough salt water?? I have three of the Costco garbage cans that I can fill with RO, but that only gives me 105 gallons.
2. How would I store the fish / corals / live rock while I move out the old tank, and slide in the new tank.

So - it looks to me like I am going to need about 10 - 15 of those huge garbage bins ? Any I can borrow? Anybody got some heaters and powerheads as well that I could borrow for this move?

Please let me know if you have better ideas - or if you have done this before.
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 9:19am
Arjen - I've got a couple 25 gal. garbage cans, and a couple heaters and maybe powerheads you can borrow.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 9:19am

I'm in same boat.  Well maybe not the same boat... but the small dingy bobbing next to you.  My 125 is sitting where my 20 was and I'm using the lights/livestock from the 20 for the 125.  I was lucky in that the 20 gal was small enough to scoot across the floor about 10 ft to get it out of the way.  I've got additional live rock and sand in a rubbermaid tub with circulation and heater that's been "cycling" now for a couple months.  My plan is to move all this material into the 125 on saturday (either tomorrow or next week).  Hopefully everything will move ok.

I realize my situation is different then yours (how would you scoot a 90 gallon tank across the room ).  I don't know how you feel about tap water but at first blush, this is what I would do:

break down the 90 and put the rock, corals and fish in rubbermaid tubs.  Move the 90 out of the way.  Put the 240 in place.  Put the sand from the 90 in the the 240 along with whatever additional sand you might need.  Mix up salt using tap water in one of the garbage cans (30 gallons at a time).  Get a paint mixer from home depot (or lowes).  It has a plastic "barrel" at the end (looks like a small swamp cooler fan).  The shaft is steel.  I wrap the shaft with electrical tape to keep it from corroding.  Using an electric drill really mix the salt solution.  You want lots and lots of bubbles in the mix.  Mix hard like this for about 5 minutes.  This step is important, it allows the salt mix to come to equalibrium with atmospheric CO2 much quicker then just using a powerhead.  Check the pH, if it's close to 8.2, transfer this mix to the 240.  Repeat until the tank is 90 gallons from full.  Now transfer the livestock and water from the tubs to the 240.  Set up the pumps, lights, ect and keep your fingers crossed .  I'm sure you'll figure it out.

(I'll have to introduce my father-in-law to you at the next meeting... he moved here from The Hague, or Rotterdam??,  when he was 16 yrs old)

edit:  I forgot to mention, adjust the tap water to 75-80°F.  This will cut down the time would take to warm all that water up to temp.

Edited by jfinch
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 10:23am
Jon knows what he's doing.

Also, keep the LR and coral submerged in a small bucket of tank water while moving it between tanks/tubs if possible. This way there will be no die-off and no "cycling" to worry about.

I wouldn't mind helping y'all move things. Just call me.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 10:26am
See - now THAT is usefull information

Thanks Jon - and Ryan, I will probably take you up on that offer.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 10:27am
BTW - does anybody know what happens to my already established 5 inch deep sand bed?

Will it "poison" the new tank when disturbed?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 10:55am
The only potential poison I'm aware of might be hydrogen sulfide, H2S (rotten egg smelling gas).  I've never moved a sandbed, so I'll differ to anyone who has.  But if I did smell H2S (and working at a refinery, I know the smell well), I would probably risk the benificial bacteria and rinse the sand in freshly made salt water.  If I didn't smell H2S, then I'd just transfer.  Anyone here have a sand bed moving story to tell?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 10:57am
My experience has been that LS should be the last thing removed from the tank, just for safety in case there is a pocket of hydrogen sulfide. Some people may notice the black color of the HS2 and discard that sand but IMO it's no problem when it's drained and mixed in with the good stuff. This is a good opportunity to rinse the accumulated detritus from the sand. Your tank has been running for about three or four years, if I figure correctly. With those sand sifting stars, I wonder just how clean the sand will be?

Anyway, I leave a couple inches of water in the bottom and remove the LS using a plastic colander like they make for draining spaghetti. The detritus will drain out with the water. Just dump the sand out of the colander into the new tank. It will still have lots of bacteria but be cleaner. You might even take a couple gallons of it directly to the new tank to ensure there is some less disturbed sand with all it's life. It's pretty hard to separate surface sand from bottom sand, but frankly, it doesn't seem to matter if it's all mixed up.
Hope this helps.

Also, this is a good time to exchange some LS for new sand if there is anyone that needs LS.
Also, a brief rinse of some of the LS in tapwater does not seeem to be a problem. Rinsing in salt water is unecessary, IMO.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 11:17am
I pretty much agree with Jon on the move but one suggestion. Go to Home depot and buy about 10 32g rubbermaid garbage cans or how many you think you might need. Make your water up first and let it age for a couple of days. When you are done with the move, simply rinse the cans out and take them back. This is what I did when I did a 100% water change on my 300g. I've got a couple of old heaters and some power heads you can borrow.

Edited by KeoDog
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 11:21am

Arjen,

I have a couple garbage containers you can use.

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 12:13pm
i have a heater, 2-5 gal buckets, a few water containers for camping, 66 quart steralite plastic boxes and I'm sure a ton of other stuff I haven't thought of yet. I am not in imediate need of any of it. Oh I also have Adam's 6 gal eclipse tank with lights, if that would help as well. I do also have my 75 gal acrylic tank that is still in its original box that you could use.
Lynn
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 8:57pm
You guys are great - thank you for the replies so far. I will have to build the stand first, so it will be a few weeks - but then I will take you guys up on some offers.

Does anyone know of anybody else who trucks around salt water, besides MSM?
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2003 at 9:06pm

Try calling Sealife or my favorite Tanks By Todd.  I'm sure they can hook you up cheap.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
ljbs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ljbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2003 at 9:37pm
I recently moved my 150 gal tank from its original home to mine.  I didn't have a tank in the way so didn't have that problem.  (I mostly watched the move the original owner and my son did the work.)  They put the livestock in buckets  with water and the LR in buckets too and covered them all with lids or towels.  The sand was scooped out and placed in buckets as well.  When it arrived at my home it was quickly rebuilt  and the sand and rock placed inside.  We added about 30 lb of extra sand I had bought on ebay and finished the set up with appropriate water.  We let the water heat up some and then added the livestock.  It's almost a month later and everything looks great.  The only thing we lost in the move was all the coraline alge on the back of the tank.  I hope that will come back soon.   Good luck with your move.
kingsspot1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsspot1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 2:23pm
Does Tanks by Todd or Sealife have a website? Where are they (the businesses)located?
Thanks
Lynn

Arjen!
I just got a coupon in the mail for a free, large size, plastic trash can. Whohooo! I'll go get it tomorrow. Just let me know when you need it.
L-

Edited by kingsspot1
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 9:39pm
OK - this is what I just thought...

I think that I will make the aquarium + sump run in the garage, and test out the setup for a few days.

Then I will empty it and fill it 3/4 full of RO water, mix it with salt, and let it sit for a few days to acclimate.

Now for the kicker - How about storing the "ready" water in one of the bathtubs for a day? Of course I would have to make sure there is absolutely no soap around.... But does anyone know how much water a standard 5' bathtub holds (up to the overfill drain) ?
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 9:50pm
Arjen, just a thought, if you are going to use a bath tub, I suggest cleaning it thoroughly with bleach then again with fresh water first.  You could time how long it takes for your faucet to fill a five gallon bucket, then time how long it takes to fill up the tub.  You get the point.  Then you would have a good estimate of how much it will hold.  Where does the "ready" water come from?  Why would you need to store it anywhere?  I think I'm having a brain fart. 
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 9:57pm
Depending on how long it sits in the tub, I might try to cover the drain with some plastic and silicone.  A lot of drains are brass or bronze... both are copper alloys.
DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:04pm
Crazy - The new tank would sit in the exact place of the tank it is replacing. I do not think I want to have 10 garbage cans sitting around, with heater and powerheads etc. So... I thought I'd use the large new tank as a mixing vessel for a few days.

Jon - It would not sit more then a day.
crazy-sps View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crazy-sps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2003 at 10:06pm
OOOHHHHH  - OKay, I think I got it.  So the "ready" water is from the old tank?  Just make new water and only keep a little from the old one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic