Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Clams spawning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Clams spawning?
    Posted: May 31 2006 at 11:58pm
So yesterday my 4" crocea kept on squeezing it's excurrent siphon and white stringy looking stuff kept coming out of it in bursts. I came back a couple hours later and my 3" clam was doing the same thing. Does this sound like a baby-making machine? If so what are the chances of me getting baby clam(s)?
ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 12:28am
Originally posted by Lyscer Lyscer wrote:

Does this sound like a baby-making machine?
Definately

Originally posted by Lyscer Lyscer wrote:

If so what are the chances of me getting baby clam(s)?

2) Not likely Smile Very difficult if not impossible (personally never heard of it happening in a hobbyist or captive system)

Keep an eye on them - especially the 3". Spawning can stress out a clam pretty bad.

The 4" probably set it all in motion - the 3" was just playing follow the leader. Do you have any other clams in the tank?

Edited by ssilcox - June 01 2006 at 12:31am
Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 10:05am
I have a tiny maxima that I bought from you guys when you had the maximas in like 2 months ago. so total I have 3 clams.
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 1:41pm

Have you had the clam out of the tank?  I understand that taking clams out of water for a certain amount of time induces spawning...  but what do I know? 

ssilcox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssilcox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 1:48pm
Lots of different kinds of stress (or just the right romantic conditions Wink) can cause clam spawning. Temperature fluctuations are probably the most common. A common method clam farms use to induce spawning is to take the clam out of the water and leave it in the sun for a while to get nice and hot,  then place it back into the holding tanks.

Lyscer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyscer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2006 at 5:47pm
There was a large temperature fluctuation from the move, this is probably what did it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic