Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hirocks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hirocks
    Posted: November 10 2003 at 6:45pm
What do you guys think about the base rock at www.hirocks.com?  I think they call it base rock because it is dry but seems just as porous as normal live rock.  Anyways, it is only about $1.00 a pound and they say it will become live rock once it is seeded with other live rock.
ffc3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffc3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 6:46pm

They sell on Ebay cheaper than their website so it is only about $1.00 a pound shipped.

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 7:24pm

I am sure that it will become "LR" once seeded, but that does take some time. It's the same idea in using Utah rock. Use it as a base and seed it with LR.

But, it really depends on shipping as to whether it is worth it or not. The website has it around $1.42/lb shipped, so that's not too bad. It looks rather bleached though and being mined from a quary bothers me a bit. Also, is it lava stone or is it old coral like alot of LR is? I couldn't really find that answer on the website.

But hey, it looks like a decent deal to me. Definately something worth considering!

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
coreyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coreyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 7:56pm

i got a bunch of baserock from hirocks... i'd say  that about 1/3 of the rock that i got was nice ... 1/3 was ok and 1/3 was not even worth the shipping cost! If i were to do baserock again i'd prob do utah base rock + its free. if i had it to do all over again i'd just get LR.

Edited by coreyk
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 5:38am
I ordered 50 lbs awhile back and was very pleased with it. I was going to buy more until I found out about the Utah rock. They are both calcium based rock and about the same color. I think its a great deal unless you can get Utah rock for free. I paid around $47 for 50 lbs of the Hi rocks including shipping so less than $1 per pound. I got mine off of ebay.

Edited by KeoDog
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Jared View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2003 at 10:07am
A friend of mine has a bunch in his tank. He bought it as the $50 was cheaper than the time it would have taken to drive from Logan to collect Utah rock. If you need a lot or are close enough to collect Utah rock I'd say get that. If not the hirock is good stuff too.
Jared Neilsen
Lehi, Utah
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic