Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am now the owner of a tank pullin monster

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am now the owner of a tank pullin monster
    Posted: May 09 2006 at 1:48am
I just bought a 2000 lb winch that I fabbed to fit into the reciever of any truck. It has 50 ft of line. I plan to make ramps to go up my stairs, out of plywood, then furniture dollie the 300lb glass tank to the bottom of the starirs and pull it up with the winch. I'd love to do it for other people if they have a direct shot to a door I can pull from. I may make it so it will work at the top of a standard stairwell, but for now it goes to a truck. If anyone wants it wemme know. I think it will save my butt/ or back friday...
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
Jared Wood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Wood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 9:48am

a MAN and his tools  Thumbs Up

I'm going to have to save this thread for future reference
In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth ... then He let it cycle.

Have you read my dinosaur theory yet?
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 11:51am
oooooh, my pessimistic side is painting a lot of pictures of what could happen to a 300 gallon glass tank with a little misdirected force from a 2000 lb. winchDead!I'm sure you've thought through a frame across the back to distribute the force from the strap/chain/rope so that you don't apply inward force at the rear corners. It occurs to me that once up the stairs you'll require alot of manual labor to lift/position the tank. They could possibly help the tank up the stairs during the pull to assist in stabilization and lift to reduce drag. Of course I don't want to think of the number and size of frags it'd cost to hire out enough fish geeks for the jobLOL
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 6:14pm

I am going to use wheel dollies and a ramp system to move it up the stairs.....

as far as frags... thats an unskilled thing to lift heavy things... so beer works great. Especially if they don't have to hurk it up a flight of stairs...

I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 7:19pm
You've thought of everything
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2006 at 8:49pm
i doubt it... lol

Magna
sivert55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sivert55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 26 2006 at 4:39pm
Have you thought of the weight of a fully stocked 300 gal tank and it's effect on your "upstairs".  My large tanks are limitted to the ground floor or basement where they can be on slab.
jacobse1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacobse1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2006 at 11:55pm
I recommend that the beer payments be made up front Wacko.  We're all stronger when we're drunk*. 

*(Site now being sponsored by Salt Lake Valley EMT and Emergency Room Association)
125 g reef
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic