Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Utah Ollitic Sand

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Utah Ollitic Sand
    Posted: November 01 2003 at 11:07am
I know that there is a lot of varying ideas and experiences concerning the subject of using Utah Ollitic sand.... So, I thought the only way to decide for myself was to try it.

Jim LaMunyon, myself, and a friend Raymond Spanier, decided to make a trip out to Stansbury Island and dig some up. With Mark's help and a couple of phone calls later we found the place and went to work.

For those of you who might be interested in the location here is a GPS reading of the place: N 40deg 47.348 by W 112deg 32.203

I have screened and washed some sand and placed it into a ten gallon tank with just a hang-on-the-back filter. Filled the tank with water, seeded live sand/rock from another aquarium, and now we'll watch to see what happens. I'll keep you posted on the results as time goes by.

Now just for fun here are some pictures of our "experience"!

Road to Stansbury

Looking for a place to dig!

Jim LaMunyon Digging Sand

Results of our work!

<font color="red">I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without all of the sponges?
peregrinus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peregrinus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 1:00pm
i have a 55 gal with 3" utah sand base seeded with some live sand from my ref. its been doing great for 6 months or so i have not seen any sign of ill effects all my corals are doing great macro alge seems to love it. thats me experience just wanted to share it with everyone.

Brian
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 1:04pm
Another good way to see for yourself would be to visit homes with tanks using this sand. I have personally been using the and the only problem I have had is it can cloud your tank. I found it is helpful to add larger substrate to the top.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2003 at 8:09am
That is a good idea but since I live in Logan, and with my work, I have a hard time making it down to the Salt Lake area. Besides, then I would not have an excuse to set up another tank! Jim and I both have talked about putting a larger substrate on top of the Utah sand and I think that is what I will do when I set up my 75 gal. tank in about a week or so. This little tank is just to play with - if you know what I mean! But at least I did not find any strange "goodies" like bullets or such in the sand I have screened so far!
<font color="red">I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without all of the sponges?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2003 at 2:38pm
EXCELLENT
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2003 at 6:26am
As I promised here is an update on my experiment at using the Utah sand.

As you would imagine, after adding water to a ten gallon aquarium, the water was cloudy but by the next morning the water had cleared. After 6 days into the aquarium setup I still have not seen any suprises like a diatom bloom or such.

SETUP:

10 gallon aquarium
50 watt heater
500 Maxi-Jet Powerhead
1 very old - Millenium 2000 filter
All-Glass Aquarium double light strip with (a lame light I will admit)
1 - actinic bulb
1 - 10,000 k bulb

2 Day after adding water and Grape Caulerpa...

3 Days later, after adding live sand and more rock....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic