Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Overflow valve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
leviwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leviwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Overflow valve
    Posted: October 29 2003 at 11:54am

I have a omni life hang on over flow and the plastic valve which screws into the top broke.  To make thing more clear it is the valve that screws into the acrylic and hooks onto a piece of normal size air tubing which is used to start the siphion and remove the air out of this piece from time to time.  It is has a 1/8 inch, fine thread.  Does anybody know where I can find something like this?  So far the only thing that I've found was a brass compression valve, but I don't want to us this.  I would prefer plastic over metal because metal usually oxidizes and I don't want to have that happening.

Thanks

Edited by leviwin
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 12:46pm

I usually have better luck finding these sorts of things at Lowes (rather then Home Depot).  Look for 1/8" plastic pipe nipple and/or go through the various small plastic fittings in the plumbing section.  Check with one of the water treatment places too.  Check with Omni life, have them send you a new one.

Alternatively, just firmly wedge some airline into the hole, forget the fitting.

Edited by jfinch
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2003 at 5:39pm
LFS may have air valves that are soft enough plastic to screw into the threaded hole. I am thinking specifically of some green plastic ones that come in a package of 4-6 valves. Alternatively, I've used fittings made for drip line systems. You may also use Aquarium Silicone also found at hardware stores to ensure a good seal.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
leviwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leviwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2003 at 7:09am
I haven't had much luck in contacting omnilife.  When I do a search I only get health places with nothing to do with fish.  I also haven't had much luck at Lowes, Home Depot, or standard plumbing.  If anyone know how I can get a hold of Omnilife I would appreaciate it, otherwise I'll have to try some way to fix it with silicone
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic