Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium Reactor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium Reactor
    Posted: October 28 2003 at 11:53am

Does anyone have an opinion on calcium reactors? Not so much if they are worth the money or not, because they just make sence to me. But, brands... what works and what does not. That is a huge question.

I am currently looking at two brands. one being Aquatic Life Systems CR-150. and the other being a Wizard 250 Deluxe Pro. Has anyone heard anything about these two systems? Do they work? I tried looking up reviews online but couldn't find any. That's not a very good sign, I know...

Thanks.

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
tomason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 3:41pm
A calcium reactor is an excellent DIY project if you like to do that kind of stuff. You can make one just as good as a commercial one for a fraction of the cost. Reef Central has TONS of info on how to make them. There are many different plans to choose from.

-Tom
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 5:20pm

I agree Carl are you ready for saterday?

Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:08pm

I would not mind a DIY project, but I can get the two that I posted above for about $50. I don't know how much the DIY would cost, but it would have to be close to that in materials I think. I just want to make sure that they will work.

Eric... Been ready! I have to still get the bulkheads. When do you think that we can do the overflow?

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:27pm
Have you read Jim Perry's article in the Sea Star Online? You could contact Jim (through the link in the Gallery or contact me for his phone #), get diagrams or pics of the two calcium reactors and ask for his opinion. His 650 gal tank and air conditioned room behind the tank are worth seeing.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:32pm
I think that I may just have to do that! 650-Gallons? Wow! I will check out the Sea Star too. Thanks Mark!
In Syracuse

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 8:44pm
I was just on the gallery pages and noticed that Flaz, Aaron George, commented on and showed a pic of his calcium reactor. He lives near you so you might consider contacting him.
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 12:23pm

Carl, any luck on a DIY Reactor?  A calcium reactor is going to be my next project but I haven't decided if I'm going to attempt to build one or just buy one...  I'm hoping Santa brings me one

Here is a good artical http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/sh/feature/index.htm

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2003 at 12:31pm

Travis,

There are lots and lots of plans and suggestions on the net for CR's. They just don't look all that complicated, but... I don't know. I think that I can pick one up on Ebay for a pretty decent price. So hard to say. If I was better with acrylic...

In Syracuse

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 6:56am

I hear ya.  I haven't been able to find much info on the two you mentioned.  Where did you find them?

This is the one I have been looking at >> www.geosreef.com I have heard good reports about it.

Edited by Travis
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 11:18am
I found them on Ebay. They ended up selling for about $150. JFinch has said that he's done some I think. Maybe he should chime in... <hint>
In Syracuse

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 1:55pm

*ding dong*...

Nope, I've never built a calcium reactor.  I do plan to though, when/if my tank gets to the point that it needs one.  I've built sumps and protein skimmers.  I wouldn't think a calcium reactor would be too difficult.  Working with acrylic is not difficult if you already have woodworking tools.  The reactor itself shouldn't be all that expensive to build, it's the CO2 tank and regulator that will cost!

Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 3:45pm

Good point.  The reactor is only half the cost.  Here's what I've came up with on the Geo...

Smart PH Controller/ Meters 99.99  -on sale

Premium Aquatics GEO Calcium Reactor 249.95

M3 Deluxe CO2 Regulator with Solenoid  144.95

M3 CO2 Tank - 10 lb – empty  89.95

Carib Sea Calcium Reactor Media - 8 pounds  14.99

Maxijet 1200 Powerhead 18.95

Shipping

Edited by Travis
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2003 at 5:01pm
IMO - A calcium reactor is best as a later addition, unless you plan to stock immediately with lots ($400+) of stony coral.
FYI - Many people have used Kalkwasser Reactors with good results. They are a small fraction of the cost of a Calcium Reactor. The more evaporation the better when it comes to Kalkwasser Reactors.
BTW - More water movement is good and leads to more evaporation and better use of a KR. Ryan Willden may have one available

my 2 cents
Reefsaver View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reefsaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 6:55am

Check out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=23572 83214&category=20758 on ebay. I've bought from this guy and he makes good product. You should be able to get this one for 90-95 shipped. He's in Canada so it take about 2-3 wks to get to you. But if you don't have the time to make one your self. This is the way to go. You can come check out mine if you'd like.

Kirk

Reefsaver
www.Reefsaver.net
Utah's Handpicked Coral
801 860-Reef(7333)
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 9:29am

Kalkwasser Reactors or dripping kalk will only work to a point. 

I really don't see how you can determine your calcium load by the amount of money you've spent.

There is nothing wrong with starting with a calcium reactor.  It will be more stable & easier...  and will save you money in the long run.  I personally plan to drip kalk even after the CR is in place. 

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 11:40am
I've been using a DIY kalkwasser "reactor" for some time now. I really like it - however, I can only get my calcium to about 330 ppm with kalkwasser. I have to add Turbo Calcium to get it up over 400. But I do use a lot less than I would otherwise. I havn't used any Bi-Ionic either - which is nice.
Cost me just under $100. Well worth it. IMO
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 12:41pm

Originally posted by Shane H Shane H wrote:

I've been using a DIY kalkwasser "reactor" for some time now. I really like it - however, I can only get my calcium to about 330 ppm with kalkwasser. I have to add Turbo Calcium to get it up over 400. But I do use a lot less than I would otherwise. I havn't used any Bi-Ionic either - which is nice.
Cost me just under $100. Well worth it. IMO

I do not have a kalk reactor but I do drip kalk 24/7 and have to do the same.  I add Turbo Calcium and Superbuffer twice a week to maintain 440ppm and 11dKH.  The initial cost of a CR is high but it will eliminate having to use Turbo Calcium and SuperBuffer and the maintenance cost on a CR is low.

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2003 at 12:53pm

Shane, are you saying that your calcium is being depleted much more rapidly then your alkalinity?  Or are you also adding buffer?  What's your alkalinity?

Sidebar:

I personally think that kalkwasser, and really all balanced additive schemes, should be thought of as alkalinity additives.  You'll keep yourself out of potential trouble doing that.  Usually alkalinity adjustments can be safely made using a balanced additive, but balanced additives should not be used to adjust calcium levels.  If you do, it will drive your alkalinity sky high causing eventual collapse of both calcium and alkalnity.  Alkalinity is more important to watch then calcium so keep an eye on it!

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2003 at 8:57am
jfinch -

I do use Superbuffer regularly.
My alk hovers at about 9.
I agree with you regarding watching alkalinity closer than calcium levels. I generally test about every other week or so. Depending on what is going on, I adjust accordingly. Normally though - I add SuperBuffer weekly, keep my kalkwasser topped off and add TurboCalcium when necessary to keep my calcium over 400 ppm.
Sorry if I mislead anyone regarding additives. I'm just not that fond of Bi-Ionic. Manual daily dosing is a huge pain!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic