Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Substrate opinions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
paulb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Substrate opinions
    Posted: October 27 2003 at 10:10pm
I was talking with Suzy the other day, and the topic of substrate came up.

I was planning on doing a layer of puka on the bottom, with some type of large holed screening on top of it, then covered with somewhat fine sand. I was just trying to keep the fish from digging into the deep parts.

Suzy made some good points about using fine and medium grain sand with no screening. That way the sand could move as it wanted to, and cycle itself (large pieces going to the top, smaller pieces moving to the bottom).

I am curious as to what opinions fellow members have on this subject.

Thanks, Paulb

By the way, sweet tanks Suzy and Rob!

Edited by paulb
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2003 at 10:32pm

Screening or not, I would use finer sand on the bottom.  This helps maintain a low oxygen area for denitrification.

My $.02

Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:24am

I agree with Jake.  And puka shell is awesome looking in a reef tank, if you ask me.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
paulb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paulb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 6:09pm
Puka shell looks good, but it is pretty large stuff.

I am suprised by the lack of responses on this thread. I was hoping I might stir up a debate
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 6:18pm
<<<<<<<<<< Isnt a big Puka Shell fan
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2003 at 7:20pm
I can't pass up a good debate!

Substrate usually shifts to where the smallest particles end up on the bottom. Small stuff just falls through a screen. If it's water space you want on the bottom, use a plenum but place a screen halfway up so some organism doesn't mess it up. Damsels are often guilty of digging holes in the substrate. Opening up a mature plenum to the main water results in an algal bloom. A damsel did it to me in my second plenum.

In the end after trying lots of substrate methods, it sems to me that the use of a mixture or separate layers seems to work just the same. and forget the plenum. Sand on the bottom works just as well. It just seems that fine stuff on top is hard to keep looking nice. A sand sifting star helps but also eats the faunal population.

Any time a "sand blowing" goby is added the whole substrate issue becomes a mess anyway. The goby disturbs the bacterial zones to some extent but then they re-establish themselves.

The one thing I definitely believe in is bacteria and a faunal population in the sand. You can use fine sand and get away with an inch or two of depth, but if just "puca" is used I would recommend 5 inches.

My 2 cents
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic