Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Myth of Responsible Reefkeeping

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Myth of Responsible Reefkeeping
    Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:14pm

I am ashamed. Last year I bought a Feather Star/Crinoid because I knew it was just going to die at the LFS. I have pics of it. It was beautiful. So it died in my aquarium. Oh yes, it was lovely... at the same time it was starving to death.  I paid to watch it starve to death.

This is quite negative of course, but I'm quite tired of seeing Sea Stars and other organisms bought and sold just to find their lives cut short in our aquariums by starvation. Sea Apples and Goniapora, Dendronepthia, and Sea Fans are just a few of the other inverts that are generally doomed to die. Will this madness ever stop?

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2006 at 11:29pm
im with mark here. my uncle, who's tank is 6 years old, has never been able to keep a starfish more than a year. he said most last 6 months. how would you like it if someone took you out of your house and stuck you in a confined space with no food to eat? now if you can keep them and they live for a long time then keep it up you must be doing something right. but as far as i know most never survive. stop killing fish cuz you THINK you can do it. i hated seein my fish die. just watchin them lay there as they gasped for air. i murdered them. i THOUGHT i knew what i was doing. yes some are goona die that is a given. but dont go around buyin them knowin/expecting they WILL die. if you buy a fish and honestly say to yourself hey little bugger your gonna die soon you need to get out of this hobby. now if you buy a fish and say im gonna do my best to keep you alive and it dies that's fine, IMO. you tried your best and failed. learn from it, share your experiences with us.

Edited by rtparty
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:37pm
It is more than just killing fish and corals in the aquarium, what you are seeing die in the aquarium is why 20 (or was it 50?) other fish died for that you never see, if that thing was wild caught. I agree that water pollution and human induced climate change are the biggest factors in reef decline and the aquarium hobby is a miniscule part. But thats no excuse for irresponsible reefkeeping. People who tout such excuses probably support sending terminally ill cancer patients to clean up nuclear waste. it will only stop if hobbyists dont encourage their purchase, dont encourage their upkeep and hence indirectly discourage their collection. It is not about one fish or one coral.
Gahlenfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gahlenfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 3:46pm
These questions exist throughout the exotic pet trade and are only solved by we the consumers choosing not to consume.  When it is supply and demand, you have to dry up the demand and then there won't be a supply.  Having said that though, if someone has found a way to successfully keep a cerain organism alive for it's normal lifespan, I am for learning about that and replicating that success.
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 4:28pm
There are some who can keep these "pets?" but I agree if we could keep us, the consumers, from buying them, then they wouldn't be collected and then die in our tanks.
Problem is the LFS and internet store will sell what sells.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 7:01pm

I think the most critical issue we should be worrying about is the proper management of the coral reefs.

As long as the collection of sea stars, corals, anemones, clams, scallops, and similar animals are conducted properly, i really don't see the issue.
These animals don't have brains and therefore don't feel pain or know they're starving to death. I dont see a difference between putting a sea star into a reef tank that will only live for a few months or killing aiptasia, poisoning flatworms, pulling out those sea stars that breed like crazy, or harvesting macro algae. Once you start getting into the higher organisms like crabs or fish, the ethics change a bit.

The issue is whether or not the ecosystems these animals are collected from are being managed well. Collecting too much of one species or another can create inbalances in the ecosystem which can threaten the survival of many other species.

So... If a sea star is collected in a responsible way, there is no issue. Wink
sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2006 at 11:37pm
Originally posted by Adam Haycock Adam Haycock wrote:

I think the most critical issue we should be worrying about is the proper management of the coral reefs.

As long as the collection of sea stars, corals, anemones, clams, scallops, and similar animals are conducted properly, i really don't see the issue.
These animals don't have brains and therefore don't feel pain or know they're starving to death. I dont see a difference between putting a sea star into a reef tank that will only live for a few months or killing aiptasia, poisoning flatworms, pulling out those sea stars that breed like crazy, or harvesting macro algae. Once you start getting into the higher organisms like crabs or fish, the ethics change a bit.

The issue is whether or not the ecosystems these animals are collected from are being managed well. Collecting too much of one species or another can create inbalances in the ecosystem which can threaten the survival of many other species.

So... If a sea star is collected in a responsible way, there is no issue. [IMG]height=17 alt=Wink src="smileys/smiley2.gif" width=17 align=absMiddle>

Adam, I agree. But I wouldnt say collectting a certain animal is no issue since it doesnt have brains. I think we agree too that over collection of a certain animal (faster than the population can sustain in its natural way) will impact animals higher up and those that do have brains (humans not included). Perhaps sea stars are nt the issue here, since I dont think they have a problem sustaining their populations in the wild, but the "no brain" argument is rather broad and includes corals. BTW, I am substantially drunk right now.

Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

This is quite negative of course, but I'm quite tired of seeing Sea Stars and other organisms bought and sold just to find their lives cut short in our aquariums by starvation. Sea Apples and Goniapora, Dendronepthia, and Sea Fans are just a few of the other inverts that are generally doomed to die. Will this madness ever stop?

I think it could once we learn more about what they need to survive. To do this they must be studied and new things tried.

ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>I am ashamed. Last year I bought a Feather Star/Crinoid because I knew it was just going to die at the LFS. I have pics of it. It was beautiful. So it died in my aquarium. Oh yes, it was lovely... at the same time it was starving to death.  I paid to watch it starve to death.

<FONT face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size=2>This is quite negative of course, but I'm quite tired of seeing Sea Stars and other organisms bought and sold just to find their lives cut short in our aquariums by starvation. Sea Apples and Goniapora, Dendronepthia, and Sea Fans are just a few of the other inverts that are generally doomed to die. Will this madness ever stop?

I agree with what you say on this Mark. I do think that there is some room for research to try and get these animals to live and even multiply in the home aquarium. I would like to see in the future almost no wild caught livestock. I know that seems unreasonalbe but maybe one day.

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

sshm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sshm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2006 at 11:47pm

I am in favor of them being studied in the ocean not in a home aquarium, but thats just me.

Edited by sshm - April 27 2006 at 12:45am
ReefBones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ReefBones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 1:42am

These animals don't have brains and therefore don't feel pain or know they're starving to death.

how do you know this? ... if you are brain dead would you still feel pain? ... We dont know .. THATS THE POINT! WE DONT KNOW!!!!!!

I dont see a difference between putting a sea star into a reef tank that will only live for a few months or killing aiptasia, poisoning flatworms, pulling out those sea stars that breed like crazy, or harvesting macro algae.

There is a difference! .. We did not choose to put them there! ... they are considered "nuisance" .. and we want them gone .. just like we would not want mice, spiders or roaches in our house .. so we kill them ... Yes they want to live ... BUT we did not place them in our house .. did we? 

Quote The issue is whether or not the ecosystems these animals are collected from are being managed well. Collecting too much of one species or another can create imbalances in the ecosystem which can threaten the survival of many other species.

I agree 100% 

Yes there is! .. we do not have the knowledge to keep this living thing alive in our glass cages ... there for .. it is best left where it will thrive! ... in the ocean ...

I dont mean to start a war here .. but if you buy something that we know is not going to live long in our "Glass cages" .. than whats the point of buying it? ... why though your money away? ... we know its going to die ...

Originally posted by ewaldsreef ewaldsreef wrote:

I would like to see in the future almost no wild caught livestock. I know that seems unreasonalbe but maybe one day.

I agree with this 110% .. some day .. we will be able to leave the wild reef alone ... and only aquaculture fish and corals will be on the market ... I dream for this day ... but until than .. why buy something that we know is going to die???? it just doesn't make sense to me .. and I WILL NOT support it! ... if I know its going to die in my tank .. than I will pass on by! ...

Originally posted by sshm sshm wrote:

BTW, I am substantially drunk right now.

Me too!!!!! .. dang Canadian host! ... gets me every time! ....

Edited by thebutler4 - April 27 2006 at 2:01am
140 gallon Reef
65 gallon Reef
55 gallon Aggressive

www.thesalttank.com

801-865-6074

"encourage other divers and sea enthusiasts to take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but bubbles"
Connie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Connie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 4:48am
You guys crack me up. The only myth is that this post has anything to do with keeping stars or any other creature for that matter.  
I have flying monkeys and I'm not afraid to use them.

180 gallon money pit that I love.....
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 8:35am
I am a bit confused with this thread. The topic is "Myth of responsible reef keeping" but it starts with Mark buying a creature he knew was going to die.

So, as far as "responsible reef keeping", I have always thought that being responsible meant researching the organism's needs, feeling comfortable that we could provide these needs and then provinding the care that it requires. If our research proves that we can not provide these needs, knowing our selves and our capabilities, we leave the organism to die in the LFS so the owner suffers the loss and maybe quits ordering the creatures that do not sell and die, thus hurting his bottom line?

What is the myth?

Is it the thought that we make a difference by not buying these creatures? Is it a myth that some LFS dealers do not suffer enough monetary loss to care?

I do see a carnation coral every time I go to The Aquarium....usually with a "sold" sign on it....

But, when was the last time you saw a catalina goby?
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:35am
While it's generally accepted that certain stars, inverts and even fish do not currently show very good success in our captive systems, its not absolutely true in every tank.  Some people have linkia that are 2 yrs old, goniopora thriving and fat happy Morish Idols.  Why?

30 yrs ago getting sps coral to survive, let alone thrive, in an aquarium was uncommon.  Was it technology or knowledge that has allowed us to keep sps without too much difficulty now?  Will/Can this happen with linkia too?
Mike Savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike Savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 9:54am
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Will/Can this happen with linkia too?

I believe it can and will, aided in no small part, by hobbiests that care AND still aquire the animal, learn about it's needs and provide them.

Adam Haycock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Haycock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2006 at 11:08am
Originally posted by thebutler4 thebutler4 wrote:

These animals don't have brains and therefore don't feel pain or know they're starving to death.

how do you know this? ... if you are brain dead would you still feel pain? ... We dont know .. THATS THE POINT! WE DONT KNOW!!!!!!
We know this because the brain is required to interpret the "pain signal". Some animals without brains may appear to be responding to pain, but it's simply a reflex response.

I dont see a difference between putting a sea star into a reef tank that will only live for a few months or killing aiptasia, poisoning flatworms, pulling out those sea stars that breed like crazy, or harvesting macro algae.

There is a difference! .. We did not choose to put them there! ... they are considered "nuisance" .. and we want them gone .. just like we would not want mice, spiders or roaches in our house .. so we kill them ... Yes they want to live ... BUT we did not place them in our house .. did we? 

Interesting perspective. The ethics of killing animals will not be resolved anytime soon, so I wont try to convince you to my side. Consider this: What is more unethical, killing a fish to eat, or placing a fish in an aquarium? Keep in mind the hundreds of fish that died trying to get your fish safely to your LFS.
What's more unethical, killing a starfish we consider a pest or one we desire to keep as a pet? What is more unethical: killing a puppy, or killing a rat? These are hard questions to answer (at least for me).  

Quote The issue is whether or not the ecosystems these animals are collected from are being managed well. Collecting too much of one species or another can create imbalances in the ecosystem which can threaten the survival of many other species.

I agree 100% 
Good Big smile

Yes there is! .. we do not have the knowledge to keep this living thing alive in our glass cages (are you sure? Many people keep them successfully. Like Jon said, acropora were virtually impossible to keep some time back. Now they thrive in many reef tanks)... there for .. it is best left where it will thrive! ... in the ocean ...

I dont mean to start a war here .. but if you buy something that we know is not going to live long in our "Glass cages" .. than whats the point of buying it? ... why though your money away? ... we know its going to die ...
 (Whats the point of keeping a reef tank?) I find if FAR more irresponsible to buy a healthy fish from the fish store than to buy a starfish that you know will only live a few months. Many fish die for every healthy fish you see the LFS. Fish have brains and can feel pain and suffer (or at least thats what they tell me Tongue) I think it's good to discuss the ethics of reef keeping, since it's a very environmentally damaging hobby.
Originally posted by ewaldsreef ewaldsreef wrote:

I would like to see in the future almost no wild caught livestock. I know that seems unreasonalbe but maybe one day.

I agree with this 110% .. some day .. we will be able to leave the wild reef alone ... and only aquaculture fish and corals will be on the market ... I dream for this day ... but until than .. why buy something that we know is going to die???? it just doesn't make sense to me .. and I WILL NOT support it! ... if I know its going to die in my tank .. than I will pass on by! ...

Remember that buying healthy fish or invertabrates is still VERY damaging to the reef, moreso than collecting abundant stars. Big smile

Originally posted by sshm sshm wrote:

BTW, I am substantially drunk right now.

Me too!!!!! .. dang Canadian host! ... gets me every time! ....
Tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:02am
In my estimation keeping "ANY" Wild Animal goes along these lines....

I have fishtanks because I enjoy them, I consider my self a caring, responsible owner - I have had numerous Freshwater Tanks as well as Saltwater...  The problem is one that will never be easily solved for the following reasons..

1.) Live Sand, Rock etc... I want to start by thanking Mark Petersen for helping me out with some of his Aragonite (anyways I digress)...  The "real" reef is made up of corals, limestones etc...  These are all Calcium Carbonite based - In order to get the full effect for Reef Tanks these are the desired types of rocks and sands.  Some of these are "stolen" from Reefs that are protected by law and shipped to the LFS to be sold. 

Because we are told from the set-up - YOU MUST HAVE LIVE ROCK, we being newbies do not know any better and go down that road, As we continue in the hobby we have had great success with this method and continue using it as well as passing it on to others.... Thus further promtoting the myth and need for these ever shrinking Reef parts

We cannot blame the LFS as they are in the business to make money - Some are very ethical and promote good, responsible practices, others are not.  It is us as the voice of the hobby that needs to make the changes by finding alternate means to produce the desired effect...  Here is a case in point for Live Rock:

I found this Board by not wanting to pay the outrageous price for a natural resource  - I searched the US Geological Survey for "Aragonite / Limestone" in my area - I spoke with one of the people there about collection rules and got the details.  I then came upon this site and a post by Mark - Not that I am a scholar but this is the kind of out of the box thinking that will lead others to see things differently.

2. Fish, Livestock - This is the harder but equally damaging scenerio.....

We all want beautiful tanks with awesome things inside (I know I do as well) - Keep this in mind.......  Something I mentioned to Mark that I have always liked to try to do and will try again with this My First Reef Tank..

BALANCE, BALANCE, BALANCE - The ocean for the most part is self-cleaning, It does not need PH Buffers or Worm gone or any chemicals to maintain it's life, Everything it needs is included - Including the nusiance's - If we start looking at a tank for the beauty of what it is rather than the beauty we "created", We will go a long way towards eliminating uneeded capture and death...   If you buy live rock (or obtain it from someone else) You have a good chance of getting hitchhikers - Some good, some bad - That is the price you pay for having "Live Rock" - But rather than take it as a curse you have some unwanted guests, Think of the eco-system you actually have than do some research -

All natural reefs contain pests, algae's bad things in general... But they also contain the cure for all those mentioned above - Everything in life has checks and balances (except humans - we are our own worst enemies) -

I do not really want a tank full of Flatworms or aiptasia or algea - any of those things "WE" consider nusiances but are considered natuer in the Reef - But rather than kill, destroy or poision look at what you have - It is a very real though smaller version of an actual reef - Now rather than throw an expensive angelfish in only to have to eliminate the pests taht are multiplying like crazy - Look into the natural enemies of these things -
Since we have confined the area to a glass tank, There is no natural enemy able to get in and help out - All things in nature have some form of custodian to keep it in check - So rather than killing find it's custodian and add a few (do not overpopulate as this is the same problem in reverse) and than enjoy the "reality" of what you have - even the "ugliest" of reefs is in fact beautiful - It's just our perspective of beauty.. Flashy color, cool fish, perfect PH... 

Once we can start using nature to cure itself we will have much better luck creating enviorments that are more condusive to reproduction and longer lifespans, Hence the lesser need for catching these fish from their natural enviorments... 

We should focus on making the enviorment we created more sustainable and natural as opposed to more "SHOW TANK" which is un-natural in the creation and treatment ...

Just my thoughts....
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 8:49am
In order to get the full effect for Reef Tanks these are the desired types of rocks and sands.  Some of these are "stolen" from Reefs that are protected by law and shipped to the LFS to be sold. 

Because we are told from the set-up - YOU MUST HAVE LIVE ROCK, we being newbies do not know any better and go down that road, As we continue in the hobby we have had great success with this method and continue using it as well as passing it on to others.... Thus further promtoting the myth and need for these ever shrinking Reef parts

I don't think any rock is being stolen and shipped to the US.  Harvesting live rock certainly seems renewable and well done from what I've seen.  Also, maybe I'm still a newbie but I think live rock is the number one key to a great reef aquarium.

Everything in life has checks and balances (except humans - we are our own worst enemies) -

I completely agree.

We should focus on making the enviorment we created more sustainable and natural as opposed to more "SHOW TANK" which is un-natural in the creation and treatment ...

Again, I completely agree.  I go off on this topic quite frequently.  But for some reason no one listens to me when I say it. LOL
Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 11:10am

No one with a reef tank in their living room should pretend to be into the hobby to save the reefs of the world. However, the longer I'm involved, the more appreciation and respect I have for the ecosystems from where my "pets" are harvested. This respect demands that I become a better hobbyist to provide the best possible substitute habitat for my fish, coral, inverts (or whatever). But, regardless of how good of substitute I create, it is still that - a substitute environment.

I discourage everyone from purchasing specimens that have proven themselves too difficult for the average hobbyist. However, there are those that have the expertise to sustain (at least longer than average) these animals and study them to better understand their needs in captivity. These people should be maintaining these special needs animals to further the advancement of the hobby.

I too, am bored with "show tanks". Although I have never been to any reef, I have seen many photographed and like the trend that is slowly developing to create a more natural looking aquarium.
Tony View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2006 at 4:31pm

Thank You for your responses.. Please don't misunderstand what I am saying...  I am not trying to make the statement that this hobby should be done to save the reefs... That was not the point in the statement..

I was looking more towards using resources "wisely" - That in itself is helping..

I agree with what you have said about it being a "substitute" enviorment, But what I am talking about is what it takes to create it..  Do we treat our tanks, do we kill the bad and harvest the good, do we buy products from "questionable" means.. 

This is what I am more speaking to.  If we can all truly learn from the "substitute" enviorment we have created, We will be able to further advance the hobby - Without the questionable practices..And the knowledge that you in your own small way have found alternate solutions to serving both purposes

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic