Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Link to Instant Ocean "Issues"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Link to Instant Ocean "Issues"
    Posted: October 21 2003 at 10:49am

This is a REALLY long thread that I stumbled onto, but I thought that maybe someone could use it. This is NOT intended to bash a company or pass a judgement. Stricktly passing information. I am sure that many of you have seen it before on Reef Central.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=248196&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2003 at 2:01pm

I've been following the related story...  Thomas712 is a moderator on saltwaterfish.com.  He sent Randy Kolmes a sample of his "bad batch" of IO and it certainly appears to have some issues.  The rest of his (Thomas712) story is here...  http://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87227 

well the link doesn't work so I'll do this...

From Thomas712
I just got off of the phone with Aquarium Systems.

I talked to Bob Studt the cheif tester of my sample of salt. It seems that they really were not able to test it or rather that once they started to test it they saw what was happening and saw no point in continuing. There was no disscution as to whether or not I may have been at fault, and very little admittence as to how wide spread this may have been. I gave him all the pertinant information including dates listed on the bucket and where I purchased it. I explained the above alkalinity reading to Bob in exact numbers. He agreed that the high alkalinity was a problem.

I seems that my salt sample resulted in a company meeting, with employees and managment, as they became quite concerned with what was happening. I was told that they had a retraining of employees as a result. I personally know that this is not the only case. A fellow hobbiest from Vacouver(sp) Canada had the same results as I did and sufferd losses, much like mine.

Here is what they are going to do for me.

1. Replace the salt
2. Replace my clean up crew and 6 line wrasse.

I will try to go right here through Saltwaterfish.com for the order.

So I am going to give IO another try as they will replace the salt, however, lesson learned, always check the first batch of a new salt.

Glad to report a happy ending.

Thomas

Edited by Travis
JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2003 at 11:30am
I have been using Kent salt that I understand is mixed in the IO factory. Just bought a 200 gal bucket of IO. Hope it is ok. Anyone care to share their expeniences with Kent Salt? I have not had any problems with it.

Jody
<font color="red">I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without all of the sponges?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic