Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

opinions on mh color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: opinions on mh color
    Posted: October 10 2003 at 11:52am
I've a 175 w electronic mh coming in shortly.  I already have 64 w antinic blue pc's on my tank.  It's a 30 gal.  I'm wondering what your opinions/suggestions are for the color temp of the mh bulb.  I want to have some good growth with my sps and the softies.  However I don't want the tank as blue as it looks with just my pc's.  So pipe up all, and tell me what you think on the subject.  Do I go with a 5.5 k, 6.5 k, 10 k, 12 k, 14 k, or 20 k?         
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 12:54pm
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 1:20pm

Kevin,  What do you know about that bulb?  Is it really an Ushio bulb?  And if so, I wonder why they suggest a pulse start ballast?

Tarzan,  IMO, I don't think you'll find many people here who have actually tried more then a few different types/colors of bulbs.  But you will most likely find someone here with at least one of the different types.  So I would suggest finding someone with a bulb that you're interested in and go look at it in person.

Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 1:56pm

Tarzan,

my first MH I did the same thing you're doing, asking for suggestions.  Unfortunately our eyes all see things a little differently.  I read where 6.5k bulbs were the best. So I ordered  a couple and boy, thats alot of yellow. Thats why I agree with Jon.  Come see some different color bulbs. I have 6.5k running on frag tank and 10k's on main talk. You should also check with R.Wilden or Fire Shrimp. There are running 20k bulbs and they also look great. That's the great think about our club is the resources of each other.

Cell 801 860-7333
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

So I would suggest finding someone with a bulb that you're interested in and go look at it in person.

Thats what I've been thinking since seeing the posts here.  SO...  who lives down orem way that has MH on their tank and is willing to help me in my quest to find the ever elusive proper color of bulb by letting me come look some friday afternoon or saturday?  Give me a call 3623483 or message me here.  Thanks,

Nate

Ryan Willden View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 2:31pm
Buy the XM 20K bulb from www.hellolights.com They have a 30 day "no questions asked" refund if you don't like them, and if you think they are too blue, you can send them back for 10K bulbs. I bought the 10K and found they were not blue enough, so I sent them back for the 20K's and there was no hassle at all.

I highly recommend hellolights service.
Kevin View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 4:47pm
I have a 250 watt metal halides with supposed 10k bulbs    (They are a no name brand that many people have criticized since I bought them). I think they have a nice crisp white color. I live in pleasant Grove, pm me if you are interested in stopping by.
Travis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Travis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 6:35pm

I can't add much other than to say I'm running 2- 10k 400w Ushio's with 2- actinic 110w VHO's on a 110g 60x18x24 and I would like more of a blue color.  I wouldn't suggest anything under a 10k and would also recommend hellolights.com...  I purchased my MH and VHOs from them and will next time also. 

tfowers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tfowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 7:56pm
I'm still in power-compact land, I've mostly done 50/50 10K/Act and been pleased with the color, but on a whim I tried a 12k blue with a 50/50 in my nano, and I love it! At first glance it looks way too blue, but I find the colors are still there just more intensely fluorescent. Also seems to have a "bottom of the reef" look to it. Dunno - all lighting is opinion, maybe I'm just going though my "blue period"

- Tim
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by jfinch jfinch wrote:

Kevin,  What do you know about that bulb?  Is it really an Ushio bulb?  And if so, I wonder why they suggest a pulse start ballast

Jon, Yes it is really an Ushio bulb. They suggest a pulse start ballast because it is a German bulb and that is what they were designed for. When I first bought a magnetic ballast from Hellolights they said it would probably work with a probe start because that is what they use to test all their lights before they sell them. I got the probe start because it was cheaper. Needless to say but it would not light the Ushio bulb. I called them and they tried the same thing. They also could not get it to work. I returned the ballast and they sent me a new pulse start for the same price. They later had a sale on electronic ballasts so i bought my next three. So I have 1 magnetic and 3 elctronic ballasts. There is no difference in color but the magnetic is a little slower to fully come up.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 9:11pm
Also the electronic ballest uses 30% les elec and also fires the bulb more true magnetic ballest pulse elec to the bulb which we cant see electronic ballest flow to the bulb are more steady which means alittle longer life... im using the helios electronic ballest and love them....
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

scroll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2003 at 11:23pm
I would just like to add the best looking sps corals I have ever seen was in a 150gallon W/2 250w 6500k halides and 2 160wvho act.

Remember that most sps prefer more of the lower spectrem of light and they also get more color from it. So I would say more blue in the light is not better for the corals but more eye pleasing. But don't get me wrong if its working don't try to fix it.
just my 3 cents shy of a nickel. Ryan 897-2000

1 125 gallon reef
1 120 gallon reef tank and stand custom built by MSM
tomason View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomason Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2003 at 11:19pm
If you like blue, the July & October TOTM on Reef Central are both quite blue. I think they look amazing!

Here's this month's:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-10/totm/index.htm
90 gallon tank, 2x400W 20K Radiums + 2x96W PC actinics.

July's:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/totm/index.htm
120 gallon tank, same lighting.

Based on the successes of tanks with bluer, yellower, whiter, whatever light, I would have to say the color of the light doesn't matter to the corals. What really matters is the PAR. Higher spectrum bulbs produce less PAR than the lower ones. Perhaps that is the "real" reason so many people say the lower spectrum bulbs are better.

That said, it is interesting to point out that not only do those tanks have bluer lighting, they also have 400W bulbs where 250W bulbs would otherwise do.

Anyway, food for thought.... I'm not correcting or advising, only trying to add! As scroll said, if it's working don't try to fix it. After all, who can argue with success?

-Tom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2003 at 11:57am
I think Mark has a good picture of what my tank looks like with the 20K XM's and 110W VHO Actinics.

I'll see if I can get him to post it here.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2003 at 12:59pm
These three pics used no flash and are untouched. This is how the digital camera saw them which I believe is a little bluer than they actually are.

For this image I used the flash and I messed with it afterward to reduce the blue and brighten all colors. I was thinking it was closer to reality, but only Ryan can tell us if I got it right.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Willden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2003 at 3:23pm
Thanks Mark! I think you're right about the color. It's probably somewhere between the first and last pic realistically. The difference with and without the flash, is that with it, it doesn't show how flourescent all the greens are. Great job on taking the pics though. I can't do near as well with a digital camera. I need a little more practice.

Edited by Ryan Willden
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic