Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Protein Skimmer?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
syaeger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote syaeger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Protein Skimmer?
    Posted: September 29 2003 at 10:29am
I'm planning on buying a 20 G tank. I've run out of room in my 10 G Nano Reef tank and there are some more corals I want to have. I want to purchase a protein skimmer. I'd like a hang-on-the-back skimmer and prefer one that is under $100. I've searched a lot of web sites and have been overwhelmed with all the different kinds. What skimmers do you recommend?

Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 10:35am
wow a 20 gal tank might not even need a skimmer you could just do small water changes
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 11:21am
I have been told the exact same in regards to my 29-gallon tank as Fire Shrimp stated. In many people's opinions, there just isn't the need for it. IMO save the hundred bucks, I know I haven't needed one thus far.

Edited by Carl
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 11:33am
I use one on my 20 gallon.  It's diy, there's a thread on it in the diy section... it'd probably work good on a much bigger tank.  Skimming is another one of those "religous" topics.  I like to skim, never felt real comfortable not doing it.  Even on my 20 I get 1/4 to 1/2 cup of "gunk" (or coral food, depending on your perspective) per day.  The logistics of skimming a small tank are a bit of a problem though.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic