Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenia
    Posted: September 26 2003 at 2:20pm
I have 3 large stalks of xenia that I would either like to move or propegate and give away. The problem is, I have never propogated before. Should I wait until after the meeting next week or whip out the chain saw and cut these puppies down? They pulse really well and I do not want to jeapordize that. Can someone school me? Tanks!
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 2:24pm
Carl - I personally have just used scissors and just cut as close to the bottom of the stock as you can. I would only do it though right before giving it away though. Get ready for the most incredible smell you've ever smelled, it even beats that sludge in the skimmer imo!
John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 2:36pm
Ryan is correct. Then attach them by sewing them to rubble with fishing line. I think this works the best.
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 2:51pm
Will they discharge anything that is harmful to the tank? What if I just want to relocate two of the stalks so that they aren't so packed in the center of the tank? Thanks!
In Syracuse

"I believe that forgiving them is God's function. Our job is simply to arrange the meeting." - Gen. H. Norman Schwarzkopf
Aquarium Creations View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarium Creations Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 3:11pm

You can also use just normal sewing string when you attach them make sure the string isnt super tight or it wll just cut its way through it and float away....

Edited by FIRE SHRIMP
Aquarium Maintenance,Consulting,Custom Built Glass Aquariums
Rimless/Euro,24Hr Emergency Service 8015485201
Www.UtahAquariumDoctors.com
[email protected]

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 4:06pm
To just move them place some rubble next to or on and they will attach and you can just move the rock, easy, no toxins released. I fraged a lot in my tank and the toxins released killed at least three of my corals. At least that is my opion.

Edited by John Fletcher
John Fletcher

20 years experience

(Tank of the Month for May 2003)Taking a little break...
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2003 at 6:18pm
I cut them in my tank all the time. I use scissors and cut them anywhere. The bigger the piece you cut off the easier it is to work with. I get a small rock and super glue it to it. Then place it back in a bowl of water for a few minutes. Then get a needle and cotton thread and pierce it about 1/4" from the rock. Glue both sides of the string to the rock. Then make a second stitch perpendicular to the first. Place back in the tank and it will attach itself in a few days. I have never lost one yet or had one come unattached in over 50 pieces.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
bullitt4932 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullitt4932 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2003 at 3:10pm
i have found what worked best for me is to cut the stalk about half way across with a razor blade and then place a rock in the cut, then when it rows onto the rock cut the other half of the stalk and then you don't have to worry about attaching it when you cut it off. the whole process should take no more than 1 week.

tyler
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2003 at 8:41am

Excellent ideas everyone. Thanks for the input, maybe I will try a little of everything and see what I like best.

In Syracuse

Kull View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 1:09pm

I know that this is an old thread, I just wanted to chime in a little late.  I cut mine with scizzors and then rubber band it to the piece of rock that I want it to grow on.  I can generally remove the rubber band in a couple of days.  I have made quite a few nice pieces doing this.  (granted I have only done this to silver tip, so I am not recommending it for any other type)

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 10:17pm
Xenia is the easiest coral to propagate and kull has come upon the easiest way to do it. No need to take the time to sew it since it attaches within days.

An addition or improvement I would make to Kull's description is to cut the piece at the bottom of a "Y" or crotch and arrange the cut end to sit in a shallow depression in the rock so that the elastic puts some pressure on it but does not cut through the Xenia before it attaches. Position each branch on either side of the elastic.

If the elastic is left on long enough to where the Xenia grows around it, just cut the elastic and let it slide out.

Pom Pom Xenia may not branch so cut it just below the Pom Pom and lay the head in the rock depression with the elastic down the middle. If you double the elastic and cross it over the frag that sometimes helps keep it from slipping away.

The original stalk piece that's left on the rock soon grows new polyps.

I've done a doubled, crossed over elastic on just a short piece of stalk and it still attaches and grows a new head. As I said, IMO it's the easiest coral because of it's durability and speed of attachment.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
rstruhs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rstruhs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2003 at 11:21pm

And Mark would know since he just helped me do exactly what he just said.  BTW, I moved that frag to my aggressive tank today Mark.  Hopefully it will not be disturbed by the trigger.  Thanks again for coming out and making suggestions.

jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 5:56pm

What is the normal time it takes for the xenia to attatch?

chrisslc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisslc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 6:13pm
I've had them attach in as little as two or three days, these were big stalks though, but I'd say that any size should get a hold in a week or less.
Murray, Utah just north of the park.
"It's all the same to the clam" -Shel Silverstein
Meeshi_ma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meeshi_ma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 6:42pm
Sometimes I've made a little pocket for my xenia by piling small pieces of rubble around them.  That way the rubberband is less likely to cut the xenia into two pieces.  You just have to keep the rock far enough away so that the xenia doesn't attach to them too.
Provo, Utah
jbruse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbruse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 7:33pm
I used a plastic zip tie just by making the "loop" large enough to pull one of the branches threw it and then jammed the onlooped part of the zip tie in a crack of the rock and all 3 attached within 2 days.
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2004 at 8:50pm
Thanks for the info
jglover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jglover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 7:01am
Does the superglue really work anyone had problems with this???  I have a silvertip frag I need attatched but it's too small to work with so superglue would be optimal if it doesn't kill the silvertip any thoughts.
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 7:29am
IME, superglue won't hurt the xenia.  But it doesn't hold it down to the rock very well either.  It sticks for a day or so, then the xenia releases, ime.  An elastic band or a rock wedging it against another rock works best.  Two to three days and it'll be attached.
Carl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Carl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2004 at 7:35am
xenia will "goop" away from the glue. I call it that because of the slime it releases. It's kinda like trying to superglue a wet noodle, just won't work. IMO, the banding works better.
In Syracuse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic