Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Refugium light from Home Depot?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Refugium light from Home Depot?
    Posted: February 14 2006 at 12:08pm
Can anyone recommend a bulb I can get from my local Home Depot that is adequate for my sump? I've read the Melev website and his recommendations, but am looking for one I can pick up tonight and not have to special order. My chaeto is not doing that great under my current setup so I need to get something ASAP. Thanks.
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 2:47pm
I have a Lights of America porch light! I actually have 2 of them, one on my fuge and one on my main display planted tank. I find it grows stuff well. 
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:00pm
I have the same light as Suzy on my refugium and I am happy with it.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 3:24pm

I grow cheato with a 90 watt halogen bulb.  It's very bright, wrong spectrum for coral, but does grow cheato .

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:52pm

There is also a clip-on fixture with a round cone shaped reflector on the aisle with the various electrical plugs and adapters.

I like the light that looks just like the one in Jon's pic above, but it has an energy saving PC twist bulb inside. I think the brand name is Commercial Lighting. Try to find the one that is "cool white" rather than "warm white", but warm white works too. The light is ~$10 and the fixture is ~$5.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 9:11am
Jon, does halogen come in a tube version? Does the look (aesthetically)
suck? I want to change the lighting on my planted tank, I really don't need
coral quality light, but I want it to look cool!

I'm thinking going back to NO!
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 9:36am

I used the twist PC bulbs in the past and they were a bit dim for my liking (I think they're only like 20-30 watts).  NPS had the 90 watt halogen bulbs for like $2 (normally ~$8 at HD) so I bought  a few.  They're very bright and the color is not that much different then the PC twist bulbs.  They generate a lot more heat though.

Jon, does halogen come in a tube version?

Yes, but the tubes look like little mini HQI bulbs.

Edited by jfinch
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 10:31am
I ran my first reef tank with 2 x 150 halogen bulbs. Grew softies and anemones without any problem. Couldn't keep any sps though. Caution - they get as hot a MH.
shaggydoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaggydoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 3:45pm
I use a bulb from HD.  I believe it is called agrolight (not sure).  It is a light specifically designed for plant growth and is a blue bulb but burns very yellow.  It works great.  I throw away a handful of chaeto every week and I only have a AC500 full of it to begin with (not much).  It really grows like mad under this light but is only 60 watts so you may need a few for a normal sized refugium.
60g LPS Cube
unixnum1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unixnum1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2006 at 4:17pm
I bought a aluminum dual 40W floures fixture and put in a couple of their daylight bulbs.
Cheap solution, nice and bright and runs at 6500K I believe.
Low heat disipation and high lumens.
I am growing grape and mangroves from it. All doing well.
220G with 30G sump, SPS/LPS. RoboTank Controller.
=====================================

If life is a bowl of cherry's,
why am I always the stem?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic