Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding Corals

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Manofcichlids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding Corals
    Posted: February 12 2006 at 11:51pm
Okay, so I'm doing a 90g reef. I am curious to the amount of additives you have to add to the tank, how often you must do this and the cost of doing this. Thanks for your help!
Fish keeping is healthy until the fish start talking back
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 12:10am
Alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium. I'm not sure on the price. I havn't added anything regularly (except mag) since I installed the calcium reactor. The price of additives will be nominal compared to your increased electricity bill.
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 10:41am
I would go with a good two part alkalinity and calcium additive.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2006 at 11:29am

What kind of tank are you wanting to have?  If it's mostly softies, then you'll have a lower demand for calcium and alkalinity and a good 2 part additive such as B-ionic is what I would suggest.  As you get more experience and "feel" for your tank, you could move to kalkwasser (cheaper then B-ionic).  But I wouldn't suggest kalkwasser to anyone just getting started.

Now if you plan to have mostly acropora/montipora then a calcium reactor is likely in your future (after you've exhausted kalkwasser and can't afford or are sick and tired of having to remember to add B-ionic).

All those other bottles on the shelf at the LFS are purely optional and possibly detrimental.  I wouldn't plan to use any of them initially, but might later on to troubleshoot some particular issue (iodine, iron, maybe silica).

Manofcichlids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manofcichlids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:28pm
It's going to be a 90g.  With all kinds of corals! I don't really know yet! I'm just trying to figure out costs per month to feed my corals...if I have enough left over for me!   
Fish keeping is healthy until the fish start talking back
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2006 at 11:59pm

Feeding coral is not really much of an expense. Feed the fish and the coral will benefit directly and indirectly. The cost of keeping water parameters (Alk and Ca) where they should be is the thing to be concerned about, but not for the first 6 months or so. If the tank is set up right it takes care of that for you.

Edited by Mark Peterson
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic