Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feeding from the Grocery store

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Feeding from the Grocery store
    Posted: October 09 2002 at 1:40pm
I am going broke with all the food that I have to buy to keep the fish in my fish-only 125 full. So last night I went to the local grocery store and purchased 1/2 lb of large shrimp. The second those puppies hit the water, it was every fish for themselves. I have a couple of large eels that almost fought over some of it. Every fish I have in that tank, except my Lion, loved them. And I only used about 1/3 of the bag. I did find that you have to take tails off though, because the fish don't eat them and they decompose in your tank. I hope this helps others in finding cheaper foods. I think I am going to soak the shrimp in Kent Zoe and mix it with krill, flake, and brine for some variety. Does anyone else have any alternative feeding situations?
Jake Pehrson View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jake Pehrson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 1:58pm
I recommend using Adam's recipe that he showed during the "Feeding a Reef" presentation.  Buying food from the grocery store seems to be much cheaper than buying pre-made fish food.  If you didn't write it down I am sure Adam can give it to you or post it on the message board.
Jake Pehrson

Murray

coralplanet.com

:)
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 2:15pm
I was thinking about cutting off my fingers and toes and feeding those to keep the costs down, but it would only last about a week. Then I wouldn't be able to open my supplement bottles.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 3:44pm

For a large predator tank I recommend a good blend of food.  But the key is to add vegetative matter if you can.  Not easy with those meat eaters.  So, as you said the vitamins may be a good way. 

Try mixing shrimp, fish, crab, tuna, seaweed, and squid.  All from your local grocer's seafood department.  MMmmmmm!

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2002 at 10:24pm

Adam, what do you think the best way would be to get the "meat eaters" to eat vegetable matter?  If I soak the "grocery foods" in with Nori and other vegetable matter, will that help?

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 9:16am

Marcus,

It can't hurt.  Add the Nori and see what happens.  Not sure if there is a good way.  But as long as you are feeding healthy foods you are okay (hence the importance of variety as well as vitamins).  Not sure I can be of more help. 

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 1:45pm
I can't find my notes on the recipe that you gave at the meeting - do you have? Can you post it or e-mail it to me please? Thanks!
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2002 at 5:05pm

Take a visit to an Oriental food market.  I buy lots of my foods from one that is just off of State Street and 7800 South.  There used to be a Smiths there but its now called something else Gain and Save or something like that.  But in that little strip area is where I find lots of my food that I feed my fish.  There are LOTS AND LOTS of ideas that you can get from visiting one of these stores.  You would think that only fish shopped at Oriental food markets.  I get my seaweed and squid from there.  There is also this stuff that comes in a can and it has everything mixed in it.  I swear by Oriental food markets for keeping fish alive and healthy.  That is all....I have spoken.  Good night.

DutchDude View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DutchDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2002 at 9:06am

Can you be even more vague  ?

"There is also this stuff that comes in a can and it has everything mixed in it."

Sounds interesting but we want DETAILS !!!! Name, price, ingredients, etc....

Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2002 at 4:44pm
LOL!!!  The can was in Vietnamese or Chinese but it costs about a buck.  It is full of squid, shrimp, and fish parts and maybe some muscles.  I guess it's primary use is for some kind of soup.
Firefish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Firefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2002 at 4:48pm
What sparked me to try an Oriental food market was something I read by J. Sprung about buying seaweed from these food markets.  I'm betting he wished he hadn't done that because not long after he wrote that he decided to start marketing his own line of seaweed products.  "Sea Veggies" I think is what they are called.  You can buy seaweed for 1/10th the cost of his marketed stuff.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2002 at 9:55am
I know of a couple stores in the valley that buy Nori from Oriental markets and just put their sticker on it. Then sell it for 10x the price. I'm in the wrong line of work. I will try going to the oriental markets, I bet its cheaper than Smith's and Albertson's anyway. Thanks for the input!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic